The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I just got back from vacation to find our goat laying down behind their shed. She was there when we first got home but we didn't think that was out of the norm for her since she tends to lay down now and then. When she hadn't moved for a few hours, we went to check on her and she wouldn't stand up. My husband tried to stand her up but she would fall back down. We moved her over to her food and water and she has been eating and drinking but still won't stand up. She's peeing and pooping and both look normal. She cries (it's weak but her's has never been very loud) and is alert but won't stand up. We gave her some penicillin and de-wormer and some electrolytes / vitamins but there has been no improvements. Her sister is perfectly fine. They're both a year and a half old. The one that is sick has been laying down more than normal before today but she would still stand up eventually. We had someone coming to the house to check on them while we were gone and they didn't see anything wrong with her. Someone please help! We've had these goats since they were 2 weeks old and of course are like one of our kids and we do not won't to lose either of them!! We have not called a vet yet. I don't know of she'll make it through the night. If she does, we will definately take her in to see a vet in the morning!! Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?? We don't have any deer near our goats so it can't be MS.

·
Super Moderator
58,846 Posts
What is her temp? Do you have white tail deer in your area? Doesn't matter if they come in their field or not.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Check her temp. Call a vet if she does make it through the night but I would stay with her overnight and keep her warm. But also I wouldn't try getting her up again you don't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes get her temp..but I have to agree with Karen...Deer do not have to be near the grazing area for MW to make their way there...I would begin treatment now just n case..with her acting normal other wise It kind of rules out many of the othe ilnesses like Listeriosis or polio which would have her acting off

Safe guard is 1 cc per 7# and Ivomec Plus is 1 cc per 40# sub Q Banamine is 1 cc per 100#///start now...the longer she is down the harder to recover..
I would also give fortified B complex as a support...
you will need to continue the Penicillin for 5 days..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
We haven't seen a white tail since about February. Our 2 Goats are kept in an enclosure behind the house with dogs in the pen next to them so deer won't even come close even if they are in the area. We also have neighbors who have large dogs that pretty much keep any deer way away from us. We have not taken her temp but she is warm and her eyes are normal. She is moving her head more and appears to have shifted a little bit. I'll keep checking on her through the night and we have a penicillin shot ready to go for in the morning.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm sorry you had to come home to a sick baby.... Glad you came to TGS. Lots of great info and folks willing to help here.

Did the person that checked on them also feed them? If so what? Do they have access to hay or just browse. How about feed....grain, pellets? Besides her temperature, do you feel any heat in her legs? How are her hoofs?

I would not give her any grain while she is down, but make sure she can reach some hay and water. Will be thinking about ya....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She is still alive! It's only 2 am here so not time for the vet yet and there are still a few hours to go but she has improved very slightly. We just gave her another round of the medicine. She is trying to get up and keeps shifting her position. They weren't fed while we were gone but we don't usually feed them that often since they do graze all day (pellets about twice a week, sometimes 3). Her hooves needed to be tried but they weren't horrible and she naturally has bad hooves. She's getting mad now since she's trying to get up but she can't and it's so heartbreaking to see since she is such a happy, cheery goat. They get fed Noble Goat pellets from TSC but that shouldn't be the issue. We're really stumped on what could be wrong but will continue what we're doing since we are seeing some improvement in her, even if a small amount.

·
Super Moderator
58,846 Posts
Meningeal Worm goes into snails and they can travel a few miles. So it is still very easy for your goats to get M Worm. I would start treatment for that as well.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Check her feet and see if there is any heat in her feet.

Samantha

"5 minutes of fresh air is equivalent to 5 mg Valium"

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
The Pen seems to be touching something there...But I would still treat for MW..it wont hurt her and it could help her...when a goat is down too long things begint o shut down regardless of how well they are eating and drinking...help her up andhelp her stand as often as you can...shift her so she is not on the same side..massageher legs and work them so they dont loose muscle...I agree with no grain until she is up, this is hard to digest and her rumen already has a fight to head off...daily Probiotics will help keep flora where it needs to be...fortified B complex willhelp her continue to fight and provide a good Thiamine booste. I would do these along with the safe guard and Ivomec Plus and Banamine...

Im glad she is showing you some hope...time to get agressive in her treatment so she doesnt stay down...

Best wishes

·
Registered
30,566 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My goat is at the vet and they are saying she either has polio or low thiamine. They are going to treat her there and hope for the best. We do not know yet how bad she is but fingers crossed she will get better because I do not want to lose one of my fur kids!! I will continue to keep y'all updated on her condition but things look bleak right now.......I never really thought it could be MW because we have only seen 1 deer and we live in South Texas where finding a slug is very rare, especially in the heat we have down here along with all the dry ground. I am hoping the vet can do something! I am sure her sister is heart broken being by herself right now while my goat is at the vet.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
If she has Polio she should respond to thiamine treatment failry quickly...recovery wont be fast but you will see results...she should also be treated for listeriosis since both have same symptoms..

best wishes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it is polio, will she be able to walk again and if so, will she have a hard time getting around? Just wanting to know so I know how we will need to care for her in the future if and after treatment is successful. Her and her sister like to run and jump and butt heads with each other so I will feel bad for her if she is not able to do those things any more.The vet is keeping her for 4 days so it will be a long 4 days for us and her sister. They will be calling with updates so hopefully all news is good and she makes a quick recovery! Thank you everyone for your advice and well wishes. This is my first time on this forum and it has been a pleasant experience despite the reason I am here.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Yes..with Polio she should recover fully...I had a buck with polio and it was a fight because I didnt know what i was dealing with...he fully recovered and became an awesome herd sire...listeriosis is different...sometimes they can have disabilities after a long battle and it can take weeks to recover...from what you discribed I didnt see any indications of either disease...hopefully since the vet is hands on he will choose an appropiate treatment...
we are glad you are here!!! and look forward to hearing good news...here is a linkt o read about Dozer..our buck with polio success story
http://happybleatsdairygoats.weebly.com/dozers-story.html

1 - 20 of 44 Posts