The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first year to show goats. I have a wether and a doe. My wether does great, but my doe is another story. She did great on her halter and started well on her chain collar, but all of a sudden she will not walk or let me adjust how she stands. I don't know what to do, she won't respond to treats when walking or when i make her stand still. She only will if I take the chain off and let her get them on her own and i'm not in the pen. Any suggestions on what I can do? Even my AG teacher is at a loss...:(

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I have had some like that. It takes a lot of practice and time.
Keep the halter and the collar on her at the same time. Sue the halter and then use both and slowly work to just the collar. It is going to take time, and sometimes it takes another person behind to hold the tail up to help them along.

I had one that walked so well at home, stood and set up like a champ. Get her in the ring and there was NO WAY she was going to walk. I finally sold her. She was a beautiful girl and did well but if she was not going to walk in the ring she had to go.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Keep working them and you can try a pinch collar if you need to. They don't like it!

My daughter has a beautiful red boer that walks in the ring (and at home) with her head turned sideways ... can't break her of it! They can be stubborn!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Pinch collars work wonders! It was the only way I could get my Boer doe to walk. My only instruction from my Ag teacher when I first got her was to basically choke her till she walked. Which of course led to our entire school not being able to walk their goats without choking and dragging. My doe was the same way, no matter what we did, she wouldn't walk. She even started laying down whenever we tried pulling on her, she ended up doing it in the ring!! We tried tail pulling(that worked for about a month or two), then we tried nudging her rump with a stick(hat only made her dislike being touched there), and we tried treats(this worked fairly well, until she decided that the treats weren't worth it anymore). We finally got the pinch collar out and she straightened right out! She eventually got to the point that I could walk her in the ring with a regular collar if I had the pinch on her before we went in. All goats are different, they will react in unique ways to any method, I would try the other things first before going to the pinch. It's difficult when you have to rely on it then can't use it in some shows.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The halter and collar worked wonders! She responded way better and let me hand feed her treats after! And she stopped moving when I would adjust her stance if someone would stand near her or act like they were going to touch her. I just cannot figure out the random changes in her??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts