My goats are missing!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by mariella, Sep 29, 2020.

1. CaramelKittey

CaramelKittey Well-Known Member

So glad they are safe back home! :)

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    So HAPPY FOR YOU! Be sure and give your neighbor a Thankyou card..and a gift. They took.care of your babies..even if it wasn't with a thought process. Be kind to them. The main thing is they are home. Next time you see.your brother...use a cattle prod on him...sorry.
    No..just don't let him near your goats...k?

MadHouse and CaramelKittey like this.

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I agree with goatsblessings.

4. Garnet-the-goat

Garnet-the-goat Member

Sep 2, 2020
    NY
  5. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Umm, I would still be very angry with my neighbors, as keeping them that long, or keeping them at all without asking around or reporting them is the same as theft. If someone found your wallet and took the money out of it, you'd be pretty angry, right? Well, what she did is no different. If you didn't hear your goat cry, I bet they would have kept them forever.

6. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    Honestly, I'm still really cross with her. This isn't the first time (Or the last I'm sure) that she's kept our animals without telling us. Once our horses got into her field and we don't check them every day so we didn't notice for a day or two and then she told us she didn't have them but the neighbor on the other side of her told us they were in her field so we went over and got them back. Her horses come over sometimes too but we just throw a halter on them and take them back to her.
    One time we were given 3 Llamas and the big male chased off the little male, we looking for him for days and found him 6 days later on our way home from town, he was in someone's yard so we stopped and told them he was ours, it turned out that she had "Given" him to them and they didn't know he had just shown up at her place. We didn't have proof of ownership because he was given to us (No bill of sale) and we only had him a few days before he left. We let them keep him because they wanted baby Llamas and we knew he was just going to get out again.
    She likes to call the cops on us for shooting in our own field, so much so the sheriff said if we don't file for harassment he would ( He even told her that so she would stop bugging us)
    The sheriff had a few words with her the other day but there is no proof she stole them so she just got a stern talking too.
    She also shot our favorite dog and almost killed her! Our dogs will just blindly chase vermin until they kill it, and I guess Bella hadn't noticed she was out of her yard and was digging up whatever she was after. By the neighbor's account, she was just digging something up but she didn't want our dog in her yard so she shot her! I wish I still had the Xrays, but the bullet stopped just before her heart and the vets wouldn't/couldn't take the bullet out. I will see if I can find the Xrays (It was kinda cool and kinda scary!) the vet said if she hadn't been so muscular she would be dead. (Bella did pass away 2 years ago from being hit by a truck)

7. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Whoa! @mariella! I’m not sure what need to be done but something need to be done! They can’t just give away an animal that’s not theirs. That’s crazy!
    We also had some neighbors that shot our big Siberian Husky years ago. He unfortunately didn’t make it.
    But seriously though! Something needs to be done about those neighbors of yours.

8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    It sounds like there is a long history of animals escaping (both ways), and I think the old adage, "Good fences make good neighbors" applies very well in this case. I think the best way to fix this problem is to work on your fences so no dogs, horses, llamas, or goats can escape to your neighbors'. I mean, if someone carelessly leaves a gate open once in a blue moon that's one thing, but it sounds like there's an ongoing pattern here. Luckily this is not an unfixable problem. Electric fence is relatively cheap and very easy to use. I'd personally go that route.

9. AlabamaGirl

AlabamaGirl Active Member

Jun 18, 2020
    Southeast
    She. Sounds. Obnoxious.

10. mariella

mariella Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2017
    Prague Oklahoma
    In Oklahoma we have the Open fence law, she is responsible for half of the fencing but doesn't do anything to help us maintain the fencing. We have fixed it so our cows and horses can't get over there anymore but we don't have the funds to put up any kind of goat fencing ( I keep the goats in an 8-panel pen that I move) We have 75 acres (So does she) and to hotwire it would cost more then I can afford right now and she doesn't help with costs at all. I plan on being a lot more careful with my goats from now until I move out. I'm saving up so I can buy my own place far from this lady.

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is a great idea to make your own fenceline. That is a good investment.

12. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    The beauty of hotwire is that you can easily take it with you when you move. The most expensive part is the charger. After that, hotwire and step-in posts are really cheap, and all of it is very easy to move around for pasture rotation and takes up very little room if you decide to move and take it with you. Something to think about!

13. Nommie Bringeruvda Noms

Nommie Bringeruvda Noms Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    MO
    That woman is a menace. If you're not planning to stay, 75acres is a lot of fencing. But, is there a need to fence in the entire thing? We're only on 29, and can't imagine fencing the whole thing. We don't want to, anyway, because we like having the wildlife. It definitely makes hunting easier, lol. So, we just fence in paddocks, with panels, that we can move around whenever/ wherever we want or need to. Granted, the tractor makes dragging them a lot easier, but honestly, even just a riding lawn mower or truck could do it.

14. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    So glad you found them before she decided to sell them. I would definitely try to find a quick solution to your problem until you can move

15. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I'm so glad you got them back! Very sorry the neighbor has been that way, but I will say if animals are escaping, it could possibly be annoying the neighbor and making them think differently of your family - always 2 sides to the story and not saying that in a bad way, I just mean, maybe try to see it from their aspect.
    On the fencing, I agree if your not staying then find a way to put up good, temporary fencing to keep your animals where they belong. It's not about the neighbor and maintaining their side of things it's about you maintaining yours. Even if that means putting the GOOD fence on the inside of your old fence so there is an alleyway between. Then if their animals get through it for example, they will be on your land, vs being right on the property line. A lot of the farms around here do that, but then we are in horse country and if a horse goes through a wooden planked fence it could end up on the road. I'm just so happy you got your babies back, and really hope you can find a way to get along with the neighbor. Definitely agree about doing something nice to show that you appreciate that the goats were well cared for. It could 'possibly' change the relationship you have with the neighbor.

16. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Hoosier makes a valuable point. We have quite a bit of acreage, but not all is fenced, so I understand the cost. The areas we keep our goats are regularly walked, and any needed repairs are done. I don't want to stress about escapees. And I don't want other peoples dogs in my goat area. I will shoot a stray if I feel it is a threat to my livestock. I have had to come up with sometimes very time consuming ways to make sure mine aren't bugging the neighbors and for my animals safety.
    It's really worth noodling this out. Knowing your own animals are contained safely is great piece of mind.

17. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    Our situation is a bit different because we are the only ones on our road. Others own property but no one is developing it and across the road is all cow pasture for miles in all directions. Our skinny girls have been terrible about getting out so we stop most vehicles willing to stop (they really have no business on this road but they use it for a cut through). When they stop, we give them our name and number and explain about our escape artists, then we ask them to call us if they see them out. We also ask them to travel slowly (it is 30mph on that road but they do 50-70mph) just in case they run up on a wayward goat. Most are very nice and have even called if they see a vehicle they do not recognize as ours to let us know it is parked by our gates. A few are just immeasurably miserable and nothing will ever help their hateful attitude. We take the stance that we have bought the most expensive, best goat fence made and we have done everything we can to make sure those slippery little creatures stay inside it but.........they are goats......part of the reason we got the best fence is that we were told "if you can keep a goat in, you can keep anything in" and I believe that. The fence is 5 feet with graduated sizes from 7X2 down to 2X2. The goats have never gone through or over the fence. They have gone under in a few spots and through a gap in the gate. We fill and correct every spot we find. We have used barbed wire in a few low spots and in several spots on top. However, about once a month, a skinny girl will find her way out and entice some of the smaller kids with her but when we call or see them, they scoot back through and we see where the problem is. It is all a big game to the goats. I say, "Really?!?! You have 20 acres fenced in and you get out?"

Moers kiko boars likes this.