The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 bucks who are 2 years old. Sully is a Nigerian Dwarf and Jakey is a Pygmy. They have always gotten along with dogs and are very gentle with them. My chi-Pom goes in their pen a lot and he can even steal food from their dish that they are eating out of and they don't care. I have a puppy that is scared of them and they will go to sniff her but if she acts scared they will stay out of her face. I had a [email protected]$$ idea the other night which completely ruined all of this and I feel horrible. My fiancé got into a car accident and I had his German shepherd for the night. I was going to have her on a tie out in the goat area so that coyotes couldn't get to her but she attacked my goats several times before I was able to catch her. The goats were physically fine for the most part but now they are terrified of all dogs and I don't blame them. Even my chi-Pom and my puppy scare them. I haven't let any of the dogs in the pen and whenever one of my dogs even goes near the pen (I call it a pen but it's a really big fenced in area) they panic and run into their shelter for a couple hours. My 3 little dogs don't roam the property (I live on 31 acres) but 3 do. Whenever they start going by the goat area I tell them to leave it and they listen.
I don't know what else to do tho. I've thought about putting little bowls of grain in random places in the field so they will have more motivation to leave their shelter. They need to leave the shelter so they can eat, I need to fix this ASAP.
Any ideas?? Besides the obvious which is not to let the 3 bigger dogs in the pen. Ever.

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
I feel for you and can understand your goat's fears. I have a feeling the dog I rescued probably has made all of our goats terrified too, except Lawn Mower who put the dog in her place. Anyway, my rescued dog loves to chase the goats, doesn't hurt anyone, just chases them. We are trying to rehome the dog.

I am no expert but maybe if you just put one of the little dogs who never scared your goats in the past on a tie down in the goat pen, so the dog is in the area but incapable to chasing etc. I am thinking of desensitization.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could work. I wouldn't need to have the chi-Pom tied. He is 10 and doesn't waste energy chasing anything unless it's one of my cats.
The puppy, yes. She wouldn't chase them because that would require going near them and she is scared of them, but since she is a puppy she is hyper and jumpy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts