The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i have my goats out grazing, if my dog tries to come over to me (hes a very submissive and calm Jack Russell) my does will run over to me and charge my dog and head butt him and keep him away from me. And sometimes they will play around with him like he's a small goat. Is this normal?

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Wow , i would be worried that your dog could get stepped on or butted hard enough to cause injury. I think they want your attention but not your dogs.
Ive noticed if I give anyone individual attention , my head doe will come over to us and chase that doe away. Not sure if that is dominance or she is just being possessive or showing jealousy. But now they know I will yell and growl at her and she will stop , but she is like a circling shark , you gotta keep yer eye on her :) I can watch her pretty well and if I do take my eyes off her , i watch the doe's eyes and ears that i am paying attention , her movements tell me if she is going to come in for a hit. It is annoying , but I guess its the "way of the goats , ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah maybe it's more of her just wanting the attention, my dog is fine tho they are Nigerian dwarfs and he is quick enough to get away. Plus I want him to know they are boss.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They were like that I'm the beginning with him but now the older dominant doe usually just ignores him and the younger doe is the one that charges him. Could she be trying to establish herself as dominant over him? But since he doesn't speak goat he doesn't get it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts