The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have noticed that our girls are getting so skinny and we don't know what to do. They have a nice big pasture and some minerals as well. We have been giving them hay as well the last several days as we thought maybe the grass just wasn't enough. Could they just not be getting enough to eat? Or could something else be wrong? Our kids are all doing great bit some of the does are not looking so well. I've posted some pictures of the worst does. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I was told once by an old farmer that a goat will starve itself to death on a grass pasture. There is some truth to that. Goats are browsers, not grazers. They need browse like vines and weeds. My goats also don't eat we'll in the summer.

Some of the questions I would be asking:

What do their eyelids look like? Pale? Pink?
Have you dewormer lately? If so, with what? How much?

What does the stool look like? Pellets? Clumpy? Diarrhea?

What are you feeding? How much?

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
Could be cocci or worms, get a fecal on both. Get a sample from the worse case Doe.

Cocci doesn't always show signs of scouring, just major weight loss.

Have they had babies on them? They can drain momma's as well :(

Feeding good Alfalfa, not oat hay or equivalent. Feed 16% protein grain and a good fat % in it can help, but start out very gradually, then increase as time goes by.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're eyelids are fine and stool pretty normal, the odd one has clumpy but not too bad. We hadn't been feeding them alot because they were just grazing, but we supplement almost everyday with branches and fresh cut grass from the parts of our hay field that weren't cut.
They were watched wormed the day after they have birth, and 10 days later with 1cc Noromectin. The boer in the picture was most recently wormed about a month ago, but the brown one hasn't been wormed yet because we wanted to wait until after she gave birth but now we are realizing she didn't get bred(some were pretty late this year). We will get on it though. But I will take your advice on the alfalfa and grain. We don't normally grain only as a treat but maybe it is time to start.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nygoatmom yea she does have a lump. I wasn't really sure what it was or if I should worry. Any ideas? I felt it and it isn't hard more soft bit definitely there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just felt again and it is like a hard ball. In the pic you can see another on near her back leg. Now I'm worries:( any ideas?

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
Goats can do fine on just mixed pasture and hay (with minerals of course), at least mine have for a year. My first suspicion would be worms. I would have fecal floats done on all of the goats and then worm if needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts