The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been dealing with this for quite some time. I bought a doe from what I thought was a reputable breeder. Sadly, to my mistake I introduced her to my herd after quarenteening her with no signs of anything. The breeder out of no where tells me she has been dealing with a bad case of bumps on her goats and failed to tell me before purchasing. Everything went down hill from there. For 4 months I tried chlorhexidine, iodine, creams. I’ve had 4 vets come to my farm and do skin scrapings and cultures and they found nothing but that it is supposedly a topical allergic reaction. I was advised to only use iodine so I did. I dried my girls up and it went away for 2 months and a few days ago it sprouted back up again. The weird part is it’s ONLY on my milkers udders. All my dry yearlings and kids have no sign. I even had kids on the milkers and they never got anything although whatever it is could be in their system by now obviously.
Any thoughts or advice on what this could be?! I’m at a complete loss and I can’t take it anymore. I want to sell them all badly because I just can’t go through the stress, it feels like my herd is ruined and the vets tell me they have no idea what it is? Frustrating!! Any help is appreciated, thank you! I’ll attach pictures of one of my goats.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If they don’t get better after treating for staff, maybe look into the questions I’m going to ask you. I’ll throw this out here just in case. Could it be something on your hands transferring when you are milking them or anyone else that milks them? Do you use lotion? Could it be anything you clean their teats with before or after milking causing them irritation or an allergic reaction? You could try swapping to a different method of cleaning their teats using different products and washing you hands really well (assuming they are not reacting to a soap you use on your hands before you milk) to see if it gets better. You can try to soothe it with coconut oil, but the moisture might be bad if it’s bacterial. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this. I hope they get better!

·
Super Moderator
32,277 Posts
Sure looks like staph but why Chlorhexidine didn't work is hard to say. Did you use undiluted and allow it to air dry?
Did the vet have the pus tested? See what form of staph this is? If you knew what you are dealing with maybe we can find an answer. There was a study that found a combo of Geranium and tea tree essential oil was effective of a stubborn case of staph.
If you have access to quality essential oils..would hurt to try. I would mix with witch hazel and spray on. Let air dry.
I would also work on boosting their immune system with fresh raw garlic, vit c and quality loose minerals.
I'm sure you know this but just in case a reader does not...wear gloves. Staph is contagious. Change bedding out daily. Pine shavings work well. Keep them dry as possible.

Reactions: toth boer goats

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,869 Posts
Looks like staph to me. Like others, my protocol is chlorhexidine sprayed all over the udder and letting it air dry. Twice daily (usually when we're milking).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts