my goats horn came off, can I vet him or should I call a vet?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by soalle3, Oct 22, 2020.

Tags:
  1. soalle3

soalle3 New Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    We have a rescue goat that came to us disbudded improperly and his horn grew into a spiral shape. He finally got it caught on something and basically pulled the outer horn off leaving the bone exposed and attached to his head. It was bleeding quite a bit but has since stopped. We applied blood stop powerder and cleaned it as best he would let us. Should we call an expert to come to look at the exposed bone? Is there anything more I can do for him?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.

2. jodane

jodane Active Member

Apr 18, 2017
    Alpharetta, GA
    We had a kid break off a horn. Bled like crazy. We treated it with BluKote and just kept a bandage on it for a week. It's just fine. I'd recommend that you just treat it with something to prevent infection and keep the flies off it, and watch and wait. If you feel that it needs professional treatment later, then consult your vet.

3. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I agree! The biggest concerns are stopping the bleeding, which you did, and then just making sure it doesn’t get infected, which if it’s just the outer horn it really shouldn’t but I would still be putting something on it just in case. And yes definitely keep those nasty flies off it ;)

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree, but a vet can direct you if you are not sure.

Did he already recently have his CD&T vaccine and the booster?
    If not, he needs tetanus antitoxin shot right away.

5. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

How is your goat today?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California