My goats horn?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frozenloc2, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    So I noticed today that my bucks horn is split. I knew I should have took a picture so lets see if I can explain it well. Lets say you take a hand saw and start at the tip of his horn and saw down to the middle of the horn almost half way down. His split is like that. Any ideas why? Could he have cracked it while banging his head on the fence? He acts normal and BTW he is a pygmy. I'm assuming its from banging his head but I just want to make sure its nothing else. He does have very healthy horns BTW. I have noticed his banging his head is no where near as much as he was doing it before.

2. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Is it bleeding? Is it actually like a split that goes all the way through the horn, or just on the outside?

3. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    Its not bleeding at all and never was. Have you ever seen a crack in a horses hoof? Its like that, his horn is split down the middle. Its about a 1/4 of the way split down. Hes got BIG horns for a little guy, LOL

4. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    Hmm, wow! I have never seen that before. My bucks will get some little cracks on the outside of their horns, and they seem to shed an outer layer. But I have never seen an actual split.

I would guess that as long as he is acting and eating fine, and it is not bleeding then probably don't worry about it.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

its sounds like it is just in the few outside layers, if he isn;t in pain or anything i wouldn;t worry about it.
    beth

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Is the split separated? Can you pull it apart? If so I would tape it as it may come back together, use a "breathable" tape though to not hinder air circulation. Do his horns go straight up or curve back? My pygmy bucks go back and he has the fronts worn flat from beating his head!

7. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    Ok, I'm going to take a picture of it tomorrow and repost. His horns are straight up not turning back. I could literally put two hands on each side of the split and break it apart like a wishbone. Just a figure of speech, not going to do that! I hope I can post a pic anyway. Never tried it on here before. I can't even add a avitar picture cause none of my pics are smaller than 6kbs :(

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You may still be able to tape it with a vet wrap type tape, it will keep it from splitting further down, and if it ends up going too far down then he'll be more prone to an infection as it is "soft" tissue at the base of the horn. The horn itself is made up of the same type of material as the hoof and our own fingernails. Double check with a vet on this but I'll suggest trying a "hoof repair" type ointment on the split to help it "reseal".

9. Frozenloc2

Frozenloc2 New Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Northern Maryland
    OMG Liz, now your freaking me out. I never thought about it continuing to split down to his skull. Look for Goats horn part two tomorrow with a pic and lets all put our heads together and you can walk me thru fixing it as you all see fit. Thank you all for assistance

Andrea

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I will have to se it before i could even say anything about it. I do know if they do not get enough calcium then their horns will split just like out finger nails.