my goats smell awful!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by motherof5boys1girl, Aug 7, 2009.

1. motherof5boys1girl

motherof5boys1girl New Member

Aug 3, 2009
    for whatever reason, they smell like rancid chicken. how can i wash them? i usually just brush them but they smell terrible. is there any waterless ways of doing this, because they freak if they even think there is water near them.
    :shrug:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    hehehehehe - are they intact males???

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    LOL! if theyre bucks, then theres your issue

otherwise just give them a bath with mild shampoo. make sure its gonna be warm enough

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Agreed. If they're bucks there's really not much you can do beside get them banded or neautered and even then it takes awhile to get rid of the smell. But if not, i'd just give them a good bath. You can use horse or a mild human shampoo or even dawn soap, I think. Scrub them really good and hopefully it will be gone.

5. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    oh no, no bucks here, 2 girls and a whether..they smell horrible. i think its from rolling around in the dirt so much.

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How funny. Yep it seems like mine always lay in the nastiest place they can. I think mine know I bag their fiber and have to take it with me to show. OH that trunk that the fiber is in stinks so bad.

7. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Just a thought- do they seem completely normal otherwise?

Coccidia has a VERY distinct foul smell to it, just wanted to make sure it might not be that.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hoof rot also smells bad..but probably just been rolling in some nasty junk!

9. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    nope, they are fine..i thought that as well because i have had several flocks of chickens die out of nowhere and they always had a horrible smell to them.
    no, they just stink!

10. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Try some baby wipes as they are nit too wet and they might just like being rubbed down. You could add something that smells more pleasant to the wipes.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    mine freek about water too -- But I wash them anyway

12. THey do have a waterless type shampoo for people and pets. Also at times baby powered brushed in can help. Baby wipes will also work but that is a lot of wipes if they smell really bad. Truth is, water does not kill them they just don't like it so you could do that as well.

13. motherof5boys1girl

Aug 3, 2009
    well, i guess tomorrow is bath day then! i wonder if baby magic would be ok? mainly because i love how it smells.

:love:

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    people shampoo is to harsh for their skin.... stick with a dog or horse shampoo