The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had Mai Mai my lamancha for almost a year but her momma died when she was 2 months old so I had to bottle feed her but now her growth seems to be stunted she's supposed to be at least two times the size she is now dose anyone know how to get her were she needs to be

·
Super Moderator
59,904 Posts
If she is stunted, you really need to hold off breeding her. I would be finding out why she is stunted and work on correcting the problem before breeding.

Does she have a good loose goat mineral out free choice? Do you give copper and selenium supplements? What exactly is she fed and how much?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If she is stunted, you really need to hold off breeding her. I would be finding out why she is stunted and work on correcting the problem before breeding.

Does she have a good loose goat mineral out free choice? Do you give copper and selenium supplements? What exactly is she fed and how much?
Since she can't graze right now wich sucks because she doesn't like eating much else, we give her some grain two scoops a day and we give her grass hey she also has a salt lick

·
Super Moderator
59,904 Posts
My guess is your goat is very mineral deficient too. I would have a fecal done and I would also get a good loose goat mineral.

How big is a scoop and is she eating it? What exactly is this grain you are giving her?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess is your goat is very mineral deficient too. I would have a fecal done and I would also get a good loose goat mineral.

How big is a scoop and is she eating it? What exactly is this grain you are giving her?
I would say her scoop is about 2 cups she dose eat it but most of the time she only partially eats it she's very picky

·
Super Moderator
59,904 Posts
More than likely she has a couple things going on. First she probably had coccidia at some point if she still doesn't have it now. She may have damaged intestines that will not properly absorb nutrients.

The second thing is mineral deficiency. She needs a good loose goat mineral out free choice. The salt block is doing nothing for her. She probably also need copper and selenium supplements in addition to the loose mineral.

I would start with getting a fecal done to include coccidia and I would buy a good loose goat mineral. You can also check her eyelids to see what color they are. Do a search on FAMACHA and that will give you more info on eyelid color.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
2 months on mom and then bottle feeding her would not lead to her being stunted. In fact thats almost normal. If she isnt growing its diet or genetic related. Id get away from the pelleted grain and get some alfalfa for her. Quality loose mineral. Fecal is a great idea. And as said, dont breed her. 90 lbs is your target weight but with a stunted animal Id put it off for even more.

·
Premium Member
15,205 Posts
If they get coccidiosis, that will stunt them. That's usually the problem with younger goats and kids that aren't growing. They are having an issue with worms or coccidia or at one point DID have an issue so their growth can be very poor. I'd take a fecal into the vet, make sure they look for that specifically, along with worms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It probably is just that she isn't getting enough minerals because I'm sure she's never had parasites we have given her those parasite pellets you get at tractor supply and there isnt any traces of them in her droppings so I'm sure she's clean but thank you all for your responses I've learned alot about the situation but another thing is that the guy I got her from didn't let me see the dad and the mom died so I don't even know if she's crossed with something or if she's a mini lamancha she looks like a full lamancha though

·
Super Moderator
59,904 Posts
It probably is just that she isn't getting enough minerals because I'm sure she's never had parasites we have given her those parasite pellets you get at tractor supply and there isnt any traces of them in her droppings so I'm sure she's clean but thank you all for your responses I've learned alot about the situation but another thing is that the guy I got her from didn't let me see the dad and the mom died so I don't even know if she's crossed with something or if she's a mini lamancha she looks like a full lamancha though
The only parasites that you actually see in a fecal are tapeworm and roundworm and pinworm. You physically see nothing else. The pellet dewormer from TSC is junk and doesn't take care of worms.

So parasites are still a possibility as your problem. Especially coccidia since you have never treated for that.

You need to have a fecal done to include coccidia.

I still stand by that parasites are definitely at least part of your stunted problem.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.