my goats wont eat the grass and brush

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bree00, Jun 8, 2009.

1. bree00

bree00 New Member

Jun 8, 2009
    South Carolina
    :shrug: do they have a prefernce? or could the brush be too large and they wont eat it?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Are the goats new to the area? They may be adjusting to new surroundings and not comfortable enough to eat the browse provided.
    Also, if they are being too well fed close to home, they won't want to "work" for their food.

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Didnt ou say on another post that these goats are pretty new to ya? They will eventually get used to thier surroundings & start scarfing that stuff down. Just be patient.
    When I first got my gals they had never seen tall green grass. I think they were in shock for several weeks before they figured out that it wasnt going to attack them.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others ....if it is new to them.......give them a little time... and they will start munching away ...LOL :wink: :greengrin:

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yup, it just takes time. I got a couple of does from eastern washington. They had never seen grass or brush in their lives. They were in the desert and ate hay.
    They stood around for awhile and watched the others eat before they figured it out.
    beth

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    age of the goat matters. YOu have never given any specifics on your goats in any of your posts so I dont know what breed or ages they are.

Typically bottle fed kids dont get the hang of brush eating till much older. Dam raised kids might catch on sooner but only if raised in an environment where they see others eating brush and grass.

Typically it takes till the goat is 6 months old or so before they natually take to eating anythign other then grain and hay if unexposed to it in a herd environment growing up.

7. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Do you feed them anything in the morning or just turn them out in the pasture? They may not see the need in eating browse if they know that they are gonna be fed. Cut them off of the feed if they have browse and only offer free choice mineral all of the time and protien tubs and hay when they come in to bed down at night. Cut back the times and amount of feed till the evening when they are let in from the pasture. You need to wean the "barn babies" off the feed. They will get the message.

8. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sealawyer has a good point.

seems odd to me! my goats love going out to eat. hopefully they'll overcome their fear