My goobers...er, I mean, goats.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Epona142, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I just felt the need to share some of my goat's funny little stories from here lately, especially since I have been feeling really down and trying to decide how to take my goat keeping from here. I need to be reminded why I love them.

Let me start with my special girl, Hope. She STOLE MY OREOS! That sneaky little cow. I had them out on the grass and I was quite blissfully eating my oreos when the phone rang. I set my oreos down to get the phone, which was just a few feet away, and somehow Hope TELEPORTED across the field and ate my last two oreos! Then had the nerve to run away, and I SWEAR she was laughing.

Brat.

Today, little Oreo finally went to a new home with a GREAT lady. He's going to have a little Pygmy girlfriend and be treated like the spoiled little pet he is.

When I went outside to play with them while waiting for her to show up, Snowflake, my most WILD doe, actually stepped in front of me and stopped. I automatically went to shoulder scratching (the key to every goat's heart), and Snowflake let me not only give shoulder scratches, but run my hand down her back, and scratch behind her horns. She is SUPER belly shy, and did jump when I reached under there, but instead of running away, she let me keep petting her. I stopped before she got tired of it, but was very pleased.

And that's not all! The nice lady who was picking Oreo up came into the pen, and my goats, instead of being suspicious of her, all came over and tried to eat her clothes. She even petted Snowflake!

:shocked:

I am seriously flabbergasted! Just a few days ago, I had to sneak up on Snowflake to catch her. And today she let a stranger pet her without flicking an ear.

:clap:

No matter WHAT I decide, the goats I have right now are not going anywhere. They are my pets, and Hope is a heart pet. I just need to figure out if I want to keep breeding. I am without a buck and not sure if I want to invest in another.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    gotta love the goats! :thumb:

sounds like your doing a great job with them :hug:

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thats great I love it when they trust us after being so shy.

Sounds like she maybe preggers and thats why the sudden change in behavior -- that or she is in heat :hi5:

4. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    She'd better not be in heat, that hussy. She was bred four times in two weeks, if you remember that thread.

And since I no longer have a buck...I will be seriously ticked at her!

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Something how they seem to do the funniest things at just the moment we need them to :love:

Belly shy....hmmmmm, I hope she gives you one of each! Hopefully Snowflake will show you why she's belly shy in the coming months.

6. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    It's funny, because Snowflake is visually my most appealing doe confirmation wise. She just looks very correctly put together.

So I'd really love to see a doe...or two...or three...from her. :greengrin:

She's been belly shy since I got her, but at least now she just jumps a bit instead of leaping into the air and turning around and thumping me with her horns.

Right now I can hear them yelling, as usual. They've run out of hay (oh noes!) so anytime they hear me moving around, they demand I come outside and give them more hay. Little pigs will just have to wait until tomorrow; but maybe I'll let them out on the grass until then.

7. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Snowflake sounds a lot like my Cheyenne. For a long time I couldn't touch her. The past week or so she has let me pet her while she's eating, once even let me put my arm all the way around her while she ate, and twice she has stood still for a petting even when I didn't have treats with me to bribe her with. She is still very belly shy though.

Both of mine yell when they're out of hay too. Actually, they never really run out of hay, but when they run out of their favorite part, the yelling starts. When they get down to the stemmy parts, they consider that the same thing as being out of hay. :greengrin: They are little piggies, that's for sure. Mine seem to eat constantly. When I let them out in the backyard, they don't stop eating leaves. Soon as they're back in the barn they stop for a drink of water and immediately go to the hay feeder. They don't do many goatly things like climbing on stuff or playing. All they want to do is eat and eat and eat.

8. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Oh yes, they have the "yucky" part of the hay left! I just tell them tough luck and they'll usually eat it before I bring them the new bale. Mine are right little pigs too, eat eat eat, ruminate, eat eat eat.

Sometimes Hope will play tag with me, but lately, just eat! I'm hoping after we expand the pen and they have enough area to browse regularly, they'll actually play with the toys I'm getting them.

9. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    My Hope is special too :) Must be a good name :)

I love how you say they are yelling for more food. that is too cute :) My Hopey does that too! lol

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I think Hope is a GREAT name! :thumbup:

We call ours Hopie too. She's the only one we're sure who knows her name, the rest know their names only when they want too.

And they don't just yell for food...if its raining, they will DEMAND that I come outside and magically make the rain go away.

Our youngest doe, Sugar, actually yells "NOOO!" It's so funny! I love asking her a question, "Do you want a bath?" and hearing "Noooo!" in return. Makes our friends laugh like crazy.

11. TNP

TNP New Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Mine did that the first few weeks. Then they figured out they'd stay drier if they stayed in the dog house instead of standing out in the rain yelling for me. Now that they have the barn, they don't yell about the rain as much, because they have plenty of dry areas to hang out.

But now that they've started having run of the back yard, we have some new yelling going on. If they can see me through a window, they will stand under the window and yell. They also yell when they can see my dog but can't be with him (they seem to think he's one of them, LOL), and they yell whenever my dog and I go inside.

12. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Don't you love the way they yell "I'M STARVING!" only it comes out all muffled because their mouths are so full?

13. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    :slapfloor: :slapfloor: :slapfloor: