The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the hard part about being a goat owner. You do everything possible for your animals yet are shown you have only an illusion of control.

Last night we lost our sweet Ellie. Last Friday we lost our Selah. I couldn't bear to put it anywhere.

With both, they were perfectly fine not hours before their deaths. No scours, eyes fine (not perfect, but not bad) they had been wormed and had toltra within the week. It was none of that stuff. I believe it was silent pneumonia again. My husband did a quick check on Ellie and she had fluids and foam in her trachea. He didn't go further, it was late and dark. He had gotten back from getting feed, loading into the barn and heard screaming and found her seizing and yelling. Took her out called for me and she died within a couple of minutes of me getting to her.

The very odd thing is, last year we had the same thing happen....2 lost exactly within a week of each other...no signs as they were completely normal the night before. I took the second to the vet to necropsy and he confirmed pneumonia. They had no signs, no fevers, no off look to them. But the really weird part is that I went to look back to see when the 2 last year passed, thinking, maybe I need to prepare for a certain time period to keep a closer eye and give preventative stuff if this is an issue. (temps have been swinging a little, did have a couple days of rain) I lost Juniper on Oct 8 last year and Corabelle on Oct 15 last year. This year, Selahdied Oct 8 and Ellie Oct 15!! I mean, same exact days? I don't know what to make of that.

I'm just really disheartened right now.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
Oh no. I'm do sorry. 😔 temp swings can be stressful for them. Pneumonia a huge possibility as could be frothy bloat. Maybe check what is growing this time of year they might have gotten into. Again, I'm very sorry for your loss

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Oh my, I’m so so sorry! (HUG) That’s heartbreaking! pneumonia can be so brutal and unforgiving. My heart hurts for you, I know how much you love your babies 😭

I’m giving vitamin c gummies daily and I use a pneumonia vaccine with Texas’s wild fall weather swings. It’s really helped the last couple of years.

RIP sweet girls you’ll be missed!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,194 Posts
Oh @Jubillee ,,Im.so sorry. Im trying OncePHMN. Its to prevent pnuemonia. I do like what @happybleats said, their might be something they are eating thats is dangerous if its wet from rain.
Please know in your heart you did all you could. Im so sorry.

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,612 Posts
I'm so sorry for your losses @Jubillee. That has to be very, very tough. RIP you sweet and beautiful girls. I know they will be dearly missed. So sorry. 🌹💐🌹

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
I'm so, so sorry. This has got to be so tough. I'm sure it's scary not knowing exactly what's causing it. Are you going to get a necropsy this year? I don't know much about this at all, but I believe there is a pneumonia vaccine. @GoofyGoat don't you use it?
Yes, I use Once PMH-IN in my younger goats then once they’ve had that for two years I switch them to the injectable. Since they both cover the same pneumonia strains I only do one injection.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
We used once PMH For two years when we had pneumonia storm blow through the herd. It works well. It goes up the nose where the virus lives. No sore spot from a shot.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Is there a plant that causes pneumonia? I don't think our temps have changed enough to cause it and you are very close to me. We have never had a case of pneumonia in 12 years. Are dairy goats more prone to getting it than meat goats? I'm so sorry that happened.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm so sorry your heart is hurting. I'm glad she didn't suffer long nor without you. Kudos to you for your excellent record-keeping and for doing everything you could.

Your story around dates is truly bizarre. It does seem to point to something growing. Our sheep eat common milkweed (which is supposed to be toxic) and I always wonder if there's going to be a cumulative problem from it...no signs yet, several years in. Maybe some bloat-supporting herbs are in order for the rest of your goats, just in case it helps?

With silent pneumonia, are there any visible symptoms to watch for?

·
Registered
558 Posts
That’s so devastating! Sorry for your loss. I’d probably medicate the goats around this time next year or maybe look into vaccines. I also wonder about something growing this time of year, rotting leaves that could be toxic, or something getting frost bitten and turning toxic. How awful to even lose them on the same dates like a curse!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I have been looking into doing the vaccine. I was looking at a lot and it seems it COULD be Pasteurella as she had blood-tinged froth from her lungs and it can kill within 12-24 hours of the bacteria multiplying I think it was. Sometimes the only sign is a dead goat.

As far as poisoning...last year the two it hit, we didn't have the pasture fenced and open. It would have had to be something in their 1.5 acre pen. Which they've been in for 3 years and no other issues. This is the first time on the new pasture. I feel like it would be more and not spread apart in time, but it's possible I guess. That is 4 acres though I know where they currently eat so I'll have to investigate. My only experience with poisoning was with azaleas the first year I had goats. They didn't die right away (meaning it wasn't quick, they never died they recovered), they were vomiting and slinging cud everywhere.

I mean last night my husband fed everyone at 4:30 and my daughter said Ellie was normal going to eat and such, and then he was out there again at 6:45 and she was screaming and seizing. They hadn't been out browsing since a least about 2:30. I guess it could be a possibility.

Neither were bloated per se when we found them. We found Selah maybe within the hour of it happening. Again, that morning I even had my hands on her and noticed nothing off, and I generally can pick up on subtle cues.

I didn't necropsy them. I did last year with Corabelle and when the vet opened her throat (he did it in front of us) fluid poured out. Then he showed her lungs showing it confirmed pneumonia. We didn't send anything for testing.

If it happens again, I'll drive the goat or organs over to Texas A&M.

Thank you for the links, I'm going to check those out now and see about ordering them.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts