My heart is heavy and im so sad.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Jan 14, 2010.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I lost my six week old buck last night. I have not ideal what to. He was fine at feeding time, then went back down couple hours later to feed the hay for the evening and he was on the ground dying. I tried everything to save him but by the time I found him he was already on the ground thrashing about. I have no ideal what happened. The day before he was standing a little humped up so I had given him something for bloat thinking maybe he had ate to much hay, but he had seemed fine after that and was wagging his tail and stuff the last time I was with him yesterday. Then a couple hours later and he was down. He died in just a few hours. Im so depressed and unhappy with myself. I dont know what im doing wrong. I lost his mom and then him all in a few weeks. Im taking these losses hard. My heart is breaking and just dont know why this keeps happening to me. I feel like I take good care of them, but here lately I feel like that im a horrible goat mom.

His little sister is all alone now and she is lonely and I dont have anymore kids due untill 2/16. She is only six weeks old and to young to be put in with the older does. I hope she doesnt get depressed on me to. Maybe im just not meant to raise goats who knows at this point I dont. :cry:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Joanie how traggic!!! my heart goes out to you. I can understand your position. :hug: Its real hard.

I dont want to speculate on what could have been wrong just give you my condolances and let you know you are not alone in this and you are not the first goat owner to feel that way. :grouphug:

3. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    I know how you feel, and I am so sorry for your loss. I recently lost a young buckling too. If I were you I would think about getting a neocropsy done to see why he died. So that hopefully you will have some answers and if its something treatable you can treat the rest of your herd so that it dosent happen again. I know that Washington State University dose neocropsys and they arnt that expensive. They do a great job.

Again I am so sorry for you loss, I know how hard it is when you lose such a young animal and there is no explenations to why they died. :hug: :grouphug: Just know that You tried everything you could think of and that he is in a much happier place now.

4. Josey521

Josey521 New Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Reno, NV
    I am so sorry about this Joanie. :hug: It is so hard when our friends leave us like that. Especially when we don't know what went wrong. I'm sure it's tough right now, but I'm also sure that you're meant to have goats. I don't know you obviously, especially since I'm new to this forum, but it's more than obvious that you care about your goats. Don't get down on yourself, this sounds like a freak thing, especially since it sounds like you take good care of your animals. I'm sure his sister will be ok for a few weeks, maybe if you can just spend extra time with her. Is there another goat you can put in with her? Maybe one that is a little softer or friendlier toward the kids? I have one that that I'd let you borrow if you were closer! Or maybe perhaps a kid from last year that you can put in there? Hang in there. And remember, though we may not see it at the time, there is a purpose to all that happens, or at least that's what I believe. Again hugs :hug:

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    awww -- don't beat yourself up. We've all gone through it, and sometimes there's just nothng you can do...

If you do want a necropsy, I know that our county vet does them and not too much money. You might check into that.

Hang in there!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is by no means... your fault ...sometimes we can't do enough... to save them....
    I am so sorry... for your loss... :( that is so tragic.... my thoughts... go out to you.... :hug:

7. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
  8. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thank you all so much for your kind words. It helps me feel like someone understands what im going through. Your words bring fresh tears too my eyes and makes me so glad for this board. :grouphug:

Thanks Josey521 it means alot that you would loan me a goat if you lived closer, that is so nice of you. It just hurts and im sure anyone who has had goats and lost any knows how I feel. Thanks again for all the kind words.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are so very welcome.... That is what we are here for.... :hug: we are so glad ...to be a shoulder to cry on..... we do care.... about all ....our Goat Spot members...... there families and friends..... :wink: :greengrin: :hug: :grouphug:

10. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Oh I'm so sorry! I know EXACTLY how you feel! Try not to beat yourself up, I know it's hard not to though, I'm going through it myself. Just know that we are all here for you if you need to talk. :hug:

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    :hug: :tears: I'm so sorry for your loss.

12. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Joanie, I feel the exact same way. I have now lost 3 goats. One of my first two I bought died of Tetanus shortly after we brought her home, and then we lost our two babies because their mommy Hope had them prematurely.

It hurts, and makes you feel like you are doing something wrong, but I know you take good care of them. They are animals, and this happens with animals of all types. :grouphug:

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry Joanie :hug:
    I know your heartache, and I can say that it does heal it just takes time, enjoy the ones you have and love on that baby as much as you can :hug:

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I am so very sorry. It's always so hard to lose one. :( :hug:

15. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    See, I know exactly how you are feeling. I am losing my Hope tonight, to what Ithink is tetanus. And she was fine today :( At least I thought she was. :tears:

16. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks so much everyone, it means a lot to come here and have people make me feel better. You are all awesome bunch of people.

Lawanda Im so sorry I hope you can save her, keep me posted.

17. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your so welcome.... hang in there.... :hug:

18. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, Joanie. And you, too, Lawanda. You're both in my thoughts and prayers.

19. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

It's crazy how fast they can turn, even when we are doing everything we can. But you are both excellent goat owner's and obviously care very much for your group. I definitely agree with the necropsy idea to help prevent further issues with the rest of the herds.

Hang in there and know you are doing your best, but everyone dies. It's the life you gave them before they went that truly matters!