My Herd Goal

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ()relics, Dec 26, 2010.

1. ()relics

()relics New Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Indiana
    -parasite resistance
    - hands off kidding
    - 2 teated dark red/black headed Traditional boer goats
    - quick growing, 100 day weanings then to market with minimal feed input.
    - does that hold condition for multiple yearly breedings
    - multiple births
    - dual purpose kids, show prospects that still grow fast enough and economically enough to be market animls.
    Now you see the potential problems. I believe in using ANY method/product available to Keep My Does in Prime shape. I feed the best rations that I can find and, when browse isn't available, provide free chocie round bales of 70/30 orchard grass/alfalfa.
    I have been working with "my lines" since the middle 90's and have essentially run a closed herd since that time, except with the addition of new bucks. My breeding herd is 20-30 does, in 3 smaller groups, and 3 bucks. The majority of my does are registered percentages, 10 or so are Fullbloods, and the rest are unregistered remnants of my foundation stock, The bucks are FB's as well. I keep a few of the top kids from every group for myself as replacements/show stock, sell most of the remaining kids as show prospects/replacement stock, and market the bottom 3-4 at 100 days.
    I look forward to reading or hearing from alot of you people. I am always open to new ideas from "producers/breeders/showmen"...If I can help anyone let me know, I Was educated by one of the leading universities in Iowa, but that was long ago, and a bs in biology is essentially useless by itself, unless you want to classify some newly discovered species of mold...I am not a vet, a dog walker, ie: vet tech, a feed representitive, or employed by ANY drug company...
    Glad to Be Here

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Welcome !! You have been a great source if information on "Herds" and the people on this site are great and always willing to help.
    :cake: see you CAN have your cake and eat it too.

3. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your goals and hopefully you have a great year of healthy quick growing goats ahead :). You will see on this forum that many people have different methods in keeping their goats healthy and happy.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Welcome...from one boer goat breeder.... to the another.... :wave: :thumb:

5. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    yes, welcome, and we'll all enjoy getting to know you, I'm sure!

6. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Welcome to the group! :wave:

7. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Welcome to the board its good to see another boer breeder.

8. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Welcome! Love the herd goals!
    We own Nigerian Dairy goats but we also do Market Goats for 4H every year, so it's nice to know what meat goat breeders are working towards. Thanks for the insight! :thumb:

9. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    Hi, and welcome from Alabama.

My goals are pretty simple.

I want the tiniest, blue eyed, goats I can breed.
    I do not care about registry, papers, I just want them to be little darlings.
    I have had goats since last summer ... I want to breed them as pets.

10. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    A hearty welcome from another Boer breeder! Looking fwd to learning more from you!