The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live on twenty acres ,all large timber and surrounded by thousands of acres of forest. I have a herd of four doelings.my dog Bar has helped raise them and protects them. He chased a deer on a hike with goats. He's a house dog but loose while I'm outside. I was very surprised. Should I keep

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He is only outside when I'm with him but I worry he may track and chase again. He really has very little prey drive but does keep our other dog away from goats. She does! Not sure how to proceed. Lease on hikes. Confined when I'm outside? I really depend on him for early warning. We have bears,cougars and coyotes on property.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He actually chased it for a couple minutes at the most and then returned to the goats. They follow him everywhere so I'm lucky the goats didn't join him. I'm not as worried about this one incident as I am preventing him from starting to run deer habitually. A death sentence around here! And this is not an average dog. He is gentle and kind with all small animals. Adores the goats and licks and checks them over each morning. I love him so much.

·
I'm watching you
22,337 Posts
Yes, in this state any dog chasing deer is liable to get shot very quickly. It's a big no no.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep. And since we are in the woods it's very easy for him to sneak off. Really sad. He may have been chasing for a while. Going to be hard to fix.

·
I'm watching you
22,337 Posts
I'll think on it today. It's one I haven't dealt with though. We keep our big dogs restrained when they are outside. Perhaps a trolley line?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only fence on the place is the goats pen. And that has been made pretty much predator proof. I was thinking of an invisible fence system. And for walks I'm going to get my training collar back from my son. A trolley might work. He is very territorial. Marks every coyote sign and bear scat with his own. That is what starts his trip around the property. Right now I'm outside gardening alone with dogs in the house. Sucks.

·
I'm watching you
22,337 Posts
I haven't had an invisible fence myself. My old neighbor had one for his Rotty years ago. It seemed to work just fine for her. She was a car chaser and we live right on a busy road. Once they are trained to them, I think they work quit well.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good news. It sounds like people have fenced off several acres at a time. I'm going to look into it further. He is a great dog and valuable as a guard. I'll try anything!

·
Registered
355 Posts
My husband trains his hunting dogs with a shock collar. They all have a tendency to run after squirrels and deer or go after some other dog, etc. It works really well, at first I fought with him thinking it was torture. The shock is adjustable and after trying it on myself it's not that bad. You may want to check into it. Once his dogs are trained he doesn't ever bring the shocker he just has the dog wear the collar.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have used a shock collar on hikes and ill start using it again. They do work really well. For outside I have found a wireless 360 degree perimeter system. Very easy to set up!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for your ideas and help. I guess i just panicked. This dog is much loved and really special to me. Much more like his Great Pyr. ancestors than an Aussie. I will be asking for a wireless fence for my birthday!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you. He is a sweetheart. On our hike our baby was feeling frisky and reared up to head butt him. When she came down at him he licked her head and moved on. LOL!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Just curious why is it a big NoNo for dogs to chase deer?
I am guessing if its on your property it is Fine? (I dont want deer eating my fruit trees or garden)....

·
Registered
637 Posts
Interesting. Apparently in CA its prohibited in closed seasons and on land that doesnt allow hunting to begin with...
and it DOES NOT allow any old joe schmo to shoot said dog, just a wildlife officer....

(We dont hunt and my first emotion was, well why shoot the dog when people are the big Killers )....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Just curious why is it a big NoNo for dogs to chase deer?
I am guessing if its on your property it is Fine? (I dont want deer eating my fruit trees or garden)....
In CA I know it is legal to shoot a dog that is chasing a deer down. On your property or not, a dog can not chase it down and hurt or harass it. The dog can chase it off but it can't take it down or bite the animal that harms it's life or cripples it.

Ooops I'm adding an edit because I see you responded first :) but it does allow us old shmows to shoot if it sees a threat of the dog to wildlife and fish and wildlife aka formerly fish and game can't show up in a reasonable amount of time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts