My herd queen....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by HoosierShadow, Jan 7, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Is officially a real meanie to the other goats. My husband built a 16'x6-7 1/2 ft addition to our barn, and this is where the goats sleep so we can keep the barn for kiddings since it's only 2 stalls. and the back stall is half filled with hay right now.

Well my herd queen won't let the other goats sleep peacefully! For over a week I've been out at night checking on them since one doe was due New years/kidded this week. All the goats stay bunched up in the doorway while the herd queen and her daughter sleep in the back by the hay feeder. She won't let the others any closer and won't let them eat hay.
    I locked her and her daughter up in the back stall tonight, and the other girls just gave me that 'THANK YOU MOM' look and the three of them went over and went to town on the hay.

Eventually we'll have a hay feeder in the front and back of the addition when hubby is done working on it. But I'm concerned about them sleeping in the doorway and not inside.

So i guess I'll have to lock her up every night... She's my girl and I love her dearly, but sometimes I wish I could just talk some sense into her and her understand what I am saying!

Anyone else go through this with their herd queen? I told her if she doesn't stop being a meanie I'd put her in with the buck, but then I realized she'd enjoy that. Because those two.... if they were human's they'd be married... :laugh:

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sadly there isn't much you can do. Right now I have two meanies myself. Seven and her daughter from her first freshening gang up on everyone. It drives me nuts! :hair:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    yup! My Narcissus is named that for a reason. ;)

4. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Gosh we have three meanies and they are REAL meanies we call them Pokey 1,2 and 3! I made a large stall up in our horse barn and took them out, it just wasn't fair for the other goats to be smashed around just because the queen bee's figured the whole 24 by 24 barn was theirs!

Tara

5. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

So I am with you there, Ruby is/was the herd queen and beat up everyone so, Now I have 4 pens 1 for the buck, 1 for Ruby and Faith, 1 for Jasmine and Athena since they are new and due first, and 1 for Joy and Sky. But now that they are all split up each pen has a herd queen who picks on the other one. Athena is top dog of her pen, Ruby is still top dog of her pen, and Joy rules hers. This summer will be interesting when they all go back in with each other. Since Athena was herd queen at her last house and Ruby was here I don't know whats going to happen. The good thing is they will have 3 acres to get away from each other.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... there is always at least one....that is boss....and a bully... I hate it also sometimes.... they can really be mean... :wink: :thumb:

7. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    yep your not alone. I've got the same problem. Yoppe has always been a more dominate doe even at times almost bucky, but when we brought in two more doe's that made the rest of them look like dwarfs they suddenly shook up the herd. They are penned off now by themselves, but I'm hoping to bring them back into the herd by adding one once the heard gets back to normal and give her a while to adjust in the herd and then bring the other one in. I'm expecting them to be the herd queens, but if I can get them to calm down some that would be the goal. I may even try to introduce them in a nuetral ground first. I just can't have these big girls hurting the smaller ones. I already had one doe misscarry after we brought these guys into the herd, so I have to be carefull introducing them into the herd.

8. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Yep, join the club. I have a doe thats really bossy, but shes just trying to keep everyone in place...

9. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I'm going through that too. My doe recently became queen, and she's power mad compared to my former dominant goats. I'm hoping she settles down a bit after this period of transition, but from now on I'm going to make sure I'm logistically prepared to seperate the goats that aren't behaving because I'm sick of the struggle & worry. If I can just get to spring I'm going to build seperate pens and huts that are available just in case of strife. If they want to get along fine, but if not I'll be ready to deal with it.

10. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    We have one doe who is a terror to all the rest #23 she is the worst, but when she lay's down she's so prego she can't get back up, went out late one night to check on them and found her laying in her spot unable to move and the rest of the does would walk over to her take a leak and drop their berry's on her, It was like pay back for all the terror she creates when she's on all four. Told mom that I had wondered why she seemed to have a yellow tint to her fur, found out why! :ROFL: She has gotten better, but that could have to do with the fact that she's as big as a house now.

11. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    LOL!!! Way to go girls! Pay back is a beach!
    My herd queen is such a pain in the butt, but I love her so it's hard dealing with her :( I have two temporary hay feeders in the 16' long addition, and if she is at the one near the doorway she'll try to keep the others out if they are outside! I lock her up every night with her 5mo doe. Her doe isn't like that at all, but I am glad mama is there to protect her.
    Now when I go out to give hay during the day, I stand out there and keep peace for a while so I know everyone is getting some without being bullied. And at feeding time I have to really watch her so she doesn't try to horde the food.