The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two premies. I just opened their eyes yesterday.
IMG_9807.jpg

IMG_9823.jpg

Caramel and her two babies, Hansel and Gretel.
IMG_8910 (1).jpg

#44 ready for a selfie
IMG_9141.jpg

Siega was blind with pink eye when she had her babies. Still was a great mom. Greater mom since she can see now.
IMG_8865.jpg

Keeping an eye on my pregnant goats, along with younger babies and their moms.
IMG_9735.PNG

My girls and our dogs herding our goats.
IMG_1366.JPG

#49 with her babies, Easter and Pasqua
IMG_9444.jpg

Two siblings cuddled together.
IMG_9139.jpg

My first ever la mancha baby
IMG_8782.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. This is my second year with goats, and I'm making a lot of progress. Last year, I lost most of my babies to the cold. This year, I've only lost a few only from getting squished or from premature.
This momma had four babies, she didn't get to clean two in time so two babies suffocated (I wasn't there when the birth happened), the third one got squished. One is left. It's pretty small, but she's a smart baby. When I put heat lamps in the building, she was the first one under there asleep. The baby sleeps in the hollow of the mom. It's so weird, funny, and cute. The mom's old, but still a good mom.
IMG_8911.jpg

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Thanks. This is my second year with goats, and I'm making a lot of progress. Last year, I lost most of my babies to the cold. This year, I've only lost a few only from getting squished or from premature.
This momma had four babies, she didn't get to clean two in time so two babies suffocated (I wasn't there when the birth happened), the third one got squished. One is left. It's pretty small, but she's a smart baby. When I put heat lamps in the building, she was the first one under there asleep. The baby sleeps in the hollow of the mom. It's so weird, funny, and cute. The mom's old, but still a good mom.
View attachment 179415
Tough amniotic sacs are a sign of selenium deficiency. Amniotic sacs should always rupture during the birthing process in the canal. If properly selenium supplemented, you'll never lose another kids to suffocation, even if the dam is busy cleaning another kid! Other signs of selenium deficiency include: kids that are slow or weak at birth, stillborn kids, low milk production in dams, and dams taking a long time time to pass placenta. Sources of selenium include: loose minerals, Bo-Se or MultiMin90 injections, and Selenium/E oral paste or Replamin Plus oral paste. Hope that helps! You have some beautiful goats.

·
14,760 Posts
They are beautiful! I agree about Selenium. Also... losing babies prematurely. You said Siega had pink eye? It is highly contagious and can cause abortion (Chlamydia). I would recommend looking into getting your does treated with antibiotics 'just in case,' especially an preggos. Maybe someone who has more experience with it can comment and give advice since you have a big herd.

They sure beautiful babies, that tiny survivor on mom is precious! Love the Lamancha! You have quite a variety!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts