My husband went blind today. :(

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Dreamchaser, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    He has been having trouble with his vision for a while. But today he is blind. I don't know what to do. It is so hard to see the one you love look at you with no emotion in their eyes, just a blank stare. He is so brave though. He actually had dinner mostly done when I came home from work. Thank God for the rotisseri machine. He got it done with no help from me, other than setting out the trussing twine and spice on the counter for him.

He goes in on the 31st for pre-op for surgery. Then he has to wait for an organ donor.

I don't know if I can deal with everything all at once. I'm trying to keep my chin up. But some moments I feel okay, and the next I feel like bawling.

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Im so sorry!

My aunt and uncle went through the same thing, my uncle is blind, but after about a year of trying to ujust, he got really well, he learned to do most things on his own, and he know is the paster to a church of over 2000 people

I will pray for you and your hubby

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so very sorry :( I am sure this is very difficult for you both to adjust too. If I may ask, what is causing the blindness? As you mentioned he is having surgery.

4. ockeracres

ockeracres New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Newville, PA
  5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Gosh, I can't imagine. Prayers headed your guys' way.

6. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    It is hard to imagine the sadness and adjustments that you'll have but sending prayers and best wishes.

7. oh wow......I'm so sorry :( Hope the doc's figure things out, and there is a donor soon.

8. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I'm so sorry. It's great he made dinner. I think I would have been curled up in a ball somewhere. He sounds great. I hope everything will work out and be well for you.

Jan

9. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh, no! You both are in my prayers, with hope for a wonderfule outcome. Hang in there!

10. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I'm so sorry for these troubles... I hope everything works out soon... I'm a donor and I hope my eyes can go to someone who needs them when I go.

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Thanks everyone. He is taking it very well. Me, not so much. It has been a progressive thing, so he knew it was coming.
    He needs a cornea transplant. His has gone bad and has calcified. For those that don't know what a cornea is, think of a grape. The skin of the grape is like the cornea to the eye.

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I cannot imagine the emotions you and hubby are feeling now, my prayers are with you both :hug:

13. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    :hug: Thoughts and prayers coming your way.

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thank you for the explination. I hope and pray that he gets the transplant he needs and it will be successful. What a scary thing to be going through. Many thoughts and prayers going out your way.

15. SandStoneStable Farm

SandStoneStable Farm New Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Maryland
    At moments when it's it seems like the hardest thing to do, try to be greatful for the gifts you do have (I know, sounds impossible). Sometimes it helps you get through what you don't have. I work with Heart Failure patients, I know waiting for doner hearts (or cornea's in your case) is very hard. I've watched doner lists dwindle, and patients stagnantly waiting for a heart. It makes some people weak, but the strong ones turn to eachother, to family, to God or reach within themselves and fight. I hope you both find the strength to know you have eachother (and, insert all your other blessings here) and that while there will always be people that have more than you do, there are so many more that have less.
    Your husband is amazing for cooking dinner! Help embrace his strength to not give up on himself as it would be much easier to sit down and not want to get up to do anything. Help find tools that enable him to continue his independance, and stuff like his favorite music on CD to keep the mind active and maybe as you are going on living life a doner will come along. But if it takes longer than you wanted to get a doner, the bond you will have created through this will be all the greater when you can finally see emotion in your husbands eyes again.
    I know this is hard and I will send prayers your way. Please let me know if you feel you need support groups in your area, or if there is anything you think I can answer for you.
    Best,
    Caryn

16. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I"m so sorry. Things like this are never easy but all you can do is your best and your astrong person. I remember when my grandmother went blind and it was hard on all of us. I will be praying for the both of you.

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am very sorry....that is so devastating... :( Prayers are sent that way...May God bless.... :hug: :pray:

18. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    So sorry to hear about your husband. Sending prayers your way..... :pray:

They say that God will never give you more than you can handle...gotta think that he has more faith in us than we done sometimes.... Hang in there.

19. Oat Bucket Farm

Oat Bucket Farm New Member

Dec 13, 2009
    I am so sorry you and your hubby are going through this. I hope he can get a transplant soon. Its good he is taking it so well.