My imagination playing tricks on me, is she pregnant or is that a precocious udder?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Sarah Sarita, May 18, 2018.

1. Sarah Sarita

Sarah Sarita New Member

May 18, 2018
    Forgive me, I posted this in health and wellness and I'm going to see if I can delete it there because I posted it in the wrong place. My intention isn't to spam.

Okay, to make a very long story as short as I can (sorry, I'm a writer), we’ve definitely lived farming life, which I describe as extreme highs followed by extreme lows:
    · My husband and I left corporate America 2008 to buy an organic farm in Puerto Rico
    · Have had goats (mostly Saanen, 1 Alpina) since 2012
    · Have successfully raised 7 kids, and assisted or been nothing more than an arm to lick during 4 freshlings
    · Have experienced a doeling die from tetanus
    · Have experienced needing to massage a cervix that was shut, followed by successful delivery
    · Have experienced an amazingly doting mom who was insane when it came to milking and one horrible mom who would do everything in her power to prevent her kids from nursing (she didn’t win those battles, with our help, the kids did) but was the best milker we’ve ever had
    · Have experienced losing not one but two does in labor due to ringwomb (mother and daughter), and worse: both within a month of each other
    · Have experienced having to put off mating during the 2017 mating season due to Hurricane Maria and her aftermath (we only just got power back 3 weeks ago), my having surgery to correct cubital tunnel syndrome and our 10-year-old sire experiencing impotence after successfully impregnating three of our does (one thrice, one twice and one once) as well as a few in our town because Ravi has never given off a buckling—only ever does.

Which brings us to where we are now. We tried mating Ravi with Amelia, Nadia and Amapola Karla. In all three instances he couldn’t perform. So we were extremely shocked when Nadia delivered a healthy baby girl two weeks ago.

We never saw it coming. We would have noticed the obvious signs of pregnancy:
    · Not going back into heat (we swore she did but then again, I had just had surgery right after the biggest hurricane in our history, and we may have gotten mixed up between the four does we have, not to mention just surviving day by day
    · No pawing the ground
    · No staking out a spot
    · No growing udder
    · No yawning
    · No dilating or dilated vulva
    · No putting a head against the wall
    · No grinding teeth
    · No licking my arm (which all of ours had done previously)
    · No stretching to put babies into position

So then we got to wondering, is her sister pregnant, did I imagine her pawing at the ground, yawning and putting her against the wall of her pen and does she look a little hollow in the shank or does she have a precocious udder?

Again, we haven’t been doing this for ten years but we also aren’t first timers in this rodeo.

Does she look pregnant to you?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    The photos are not showing up...

3. Sarah Sarita

Sarah Sarita New Member

May 18, 2018
    Thanks. Let me see if I can rectify that.

Attached Files:

groovyoldlady likes this.
  4. groovyoldlady

groovyoldlady Goat Crazy!

Jul 21, 2011
    Central Maine
    The way the udder is developing looks like a precocious udder to me. See how it's kind of lopsided and squishy? I've had 3 different goats with precocious udders and they never look as beautiful as a true expectant mama udder. I doubt she's pregnant, but you can tell for sure by getting a blood test.

5. Sarah Sarita

Sarah Sarita New Member

May 18, 2018
    That’s quite a relief, actually. We have our hands full with Hurricane Maria aftermath. We’d prefer she not be.

Althoughthd one thing is that her sister Nadia’s udder looked the same before she shocked us with her baby two weeks ago.

Frida is a honey.

6. Sarah Sarita

Sarah Sarita New Member

May 18, 2018
    Our neighbor with goats came over today. He’s had goats for about 50 years. He squeezed the larger teat and rolled the milk around his hand for about 30 seconds and said yes. He was feeling for colostrum. I can’t believe we didn’t think to do that.

He said the right one isn’t functioning. I hope she doesn’t have more than one.

He said she’s 3 to 3.5 months along.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  7. Goat_Scout

Goat_Scout Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Louisiana
    She doesn’t look pregnant to me either, it just looks like a precocious udder.

8. Sarah Sarita

Sarah Sarita New Member

May 18, 2018
    I guess we shall see in 1.5 months or so. Our neighbor feels otherwise after playing with the milk that came from her. He said he felt colostrum.

I feel stupid for not thinking of that.

Last edited: May 19, 2018