The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I'm very new to goat raising. Out the back of a horse property I manage we found this female kid, next to her dead mum (shot, illegally because she was on our private property, but its legal to shoot feral goats here). The rest of the herd was no where to be seen. We easily caught said kid (her name is Fee now) because she would only run on three legs.
She seemed a good weight so she was clearly able to keep up with the rest.
We've had this goat nearly 2 weeks now and there has been no sign of improvement coming from this leg - its now half the size of her left one as its underdeveloped. Ive seen her try to use it to scratch her face and it just vibrates at most, its as if she has no motor control over it. It bends, all the joints work in it, and i can move the leg for her but it certain ways she cries, so sometimes it hurts her and she feels that pain.

Also I'm feeding her human organic goats milk (through a nip when im home and in a bowl when im not), providing her with water in a bowl (which she occasionally drinks from) and hay (which i feel shes only nibbling on it to cure her boredom). her weight has maintained since we've had her, shes drinking a fair amount of milk but seems slightly constipated.

any advice on what i can do about the leg? Trying to avoid taking her to a vet as I dont have money to be spending on feral goats. I'll raise her best I can and she can live with my sheep when shes ready but I dont have excess money to spend on her.
in terms of her age, when we found her her umbilical cord was still attached, about 5cm in length and completely dried up. its now about 3cm in length but still there dried up.
located Victoria, Australia.

thank you in advance for your help,
Bella

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It sounds like some kind of nerve damage to me.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
some probios would be good for the constipation. Are you putting a pinch of baking soda in her morning bottle, or at least one of her bottles? A b complex shot would be good.
@Bree_6293 i believe you live in Australia (sorry if i am wrong). Do you live near Victoria

Poor thing :( I am glad you found her

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no im not. should i be? i can do that easily if you believe it will help her. i have been adding a tea spoon of psyillium husk as a sort of natural constipation remedy.

i've order Milk of Magnesia online and have given her an enema with warm water and mineral oil. she does poo its just uncomfortable for her. i will add baking soda though thankyou for the tip.

ive narrowed the issue in her leg down to her joint. its her knee joint. its very hot and inflamed currently, sometimes it swells up like this and then sometimes it goes back down. ive attached as image of her not standing on it.

can i give her a childrens anti-inflammatory? like aspirin for babies or something ? im sure an anti-inflammatory will help.

would i need to obtain a b-complex shot from a vet?

goat.jpg
goat 2.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
How much does she weigh? And how much and how often is she getting milk? It may not be constipation but her not geting enough milk to have leftover to make poop. I am not sayin she is not constipated but if she is not getting enough fuel to feed her growin body she will not poop. is she peeing good? Weigh her daily with a scale that uses pounds and ounces (a cheap fish scale works well for this)... she should be gaining weight every single day not just holding steady. :)

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
What a heart-breaking story! Thank you for sharing, and welcome to this forum! :)

Shall we estimate her age to about a month? In that case she was 2 weeks when she lost her mom, could it be that she got damaged when she and her mom tried to escape those hunters, who probably were in a hurry, anxious not to be discovered on their neighbour's property?

Personally, I could well imagine that person kicking the kid in the belly after having inspected the dead mother. I wonder, how things are in her guts? If there is a bulge somewhere, where the material can get stuck? But, that would not cause her pain when pooping.

As for the leg, I have no idea, except that goats, like sheep, are prey animals, and tend to hide problems as long as they can. So when she cries, it probably hurts badly.

A wonderful photo with pamper and jacket! But she crouches a little, and the hair is not so shiny, so in some way she does not feel totally well, even if I am sure she very much appreciates it, that you took care of her and saved her life! :)

So, welcome to this forum, Belladox & little Fee! Hope you will enjoy both your lives and this forum! :)

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Baby aspirin might give her some relief. I wouldn't use acetaminophen or ibuprofen as they're not as good for animal. If you have banamine I'd give 0.01-0.02ml of it but be aware it will drop her temperature. She needs her natural diet of leaves and forage as well as hay since her mum probably didn't teach her to eat hay. Do you have vet wrap? You might want to support the knee for a couple days to see if minimal movement helps it.
You're a special person to rescue this little one. Welcome to the Goat Spot! Good luck

Probiotics and vitamin b can never hurt and always can help so I would say yes if you can get them, go for it!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
You can get a bottle of b-complex in america at the feed store. If you cant, your vet should tell you where to get it, or he will give it to you. Wrap that knee up to help support it. Either in vet wrap or in an ace bandage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
replying to Sfgwife's post:
She weighs 3kg. I could only weigh her by weighing myself on scale and then holding her and weighing us both and the difference was 3kg. ill weigh her again next week to see if she is gaining weight or holding steady.
she pees very good, 3 - 4 times per day, no pain, urine is only a slight yellow colour as well so no dehydration.
i have now also started offering her lucerne hay to get her more interested in eating solids.
she poo'd her first solid yesterday. on a diet consisting on 99% milk id be worried but i believe that is the psyllium husk working that i fed her the day before. she was still in discomfort when pooing but it came out so much faster, 3 little pushes and she stopped crying and sure enough diaper was full of solidish poop.
im still yet to purchase baby aspirin for her but plan to do so. and i have now started wrapping a support bandage (the ones we use with a sprained ankle) around her leg. the swelling and heat from that knee joint though has not changed at all... :(
goat 3.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trollmor: I do believe that photo was just poor quality. if you see in a new photo i posted of her bandage her coat is actually quiet shiny.
Her poo is a deep yellow colour by the way, mostly watery and will be loosely clumped together with psyllium husk fed the previous day. I've raised a lamb before and the poo seems to be the same.

nigerian dwarf goat:
ive found this b-complex injection on an australian site. however it states its only for dogs, cats and horses. if i can give this to the kid (pending this is the stuff youre talking about), at what dosage should i do so? i cant add links so ive had to attach this screenshot. the website is called 'petceutics' (.com.au)
goat 7.jpg

I found a probiotic on the same site that specifically gives a dosage for goats so i plan on buying that as well - hopefully i can use that b-complex shot listed above.

thankyou all very much for your help by the way.
goat 4.jpg

goat 5.jpg

·
Registered
29,978 Posts
She is a doll!! Have you taken her temp? when kids present swollen joints I am concerned about naval ill. this can present with or without infection to the naval. She may need several days of antibiotics if so. Temp for goats range 101.5-103.5. I would get her temp quickly to rule out infection.

EDIT: Re reading I see this has been going on for 2 weeks. Im betting if an infection is present baby would be much worse and would be pretty sick by now. (blush) But do get her temp, never hurts to make sure that is all good.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
nigerian dwarf goat:
ive found this b-complex injection on an australian site. however it states its only for dogs, cats and horses. if i can give this to the kid (pending this is the stuff youre talking about), at what dosage should i do so? i cant add links so ive had to attach this screenshot. the website is called 'petceutics' (.com.au)
@Belladox , you can go ahead and buy that. The dosage is instramuscular 5 mL per 100 pounds (45kg) It is ok if you give her a little too much, because she will just pee out what she doesnt need in B vitamins

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi all,
please help i believe her knee joint has got worse... im now thinking i may have no choice but to take her to a vet, however, if its anything more than a couple of hundred dollars (AUD) im probably just going to surrender her to the RSPCA (Royal Society of Protection and Care of Animals) and they will most likely just put her to sleep :(

I've taken her temp, it was 38.5c. i know that slightly under but i was holding her myself and couldnt exactly see how far it was in, so i reckon i may of needed to push it in a little further and the temp would of read normal. i will redo the temp check tomorrow anyway. she certainly doesnt appear sick, shes happy, moves around, eats (drinks) lots and is trying to work out how to eat hay too.

i give her human goats milk i buy from the shops. for a small amount of time i was given her proper lamb powder for orphaned lambs but her constipation got sooo much worse, she would cry so much and it would take her at least 5 minutes to poo. when i feed her this milk her constipation is almost non-exisitent.

I have attached photos of her leg and the milk i give her. the one with red circles is trying to show the size difference between her good knee joint (left) and her bad swollen knee joint (right).

66772281_395142341348186_4952547675443560448_n.jpg
67556368_2543333925725893_7538163759102033920_n.jpg
67341839_559797957884564_8450402305827667968_n.jpg
67328183_1389529061201426_552812743976026112_n.jpg

1 - 20 of 59 Posts