My kitchen has been overrun with milking supplies!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by fruittartcaprines, May 8, 2010.

1. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    AAAACK I can't take it any more. I've got two different types of filters in boxes on the counter (because I bought two different types of strainers...not thinking), I've got jars that are clean out the wazoo and cheesecloth and buckets and...

How do you all organize your milking supplies? I'd like to find something more efficient but I'm out of cabinet space!

2. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    I put the SS pail, which is a bowl, that I milk in inside the SS bucket, which is a stockpot. Inside that I also put two cottage cheese containers with tops. The larger cottage cheese container I put 3 clean old socks in and the smaller cottage cheese container is empty. We have two sets of stockpots and ss bowls and cottage cheese containers ready to go. We keep these whole things in the pantry with the basket I take out there stocked with clean dry socks in a ziplock. When I go out to the barn I grab a basket and, after filling the larger sock filled cottage cheese container with hot water I put it in the basket that also has clean dry socks in it for drying off the udder. I clean the udder and teats with the warm wet socks and dry the udder and teats off with the dry socks. The smaller cottage cheese container with the top is used for a strip cup. I save that milk to give to the dogs when we come back inside.
    We use one of those metal coffee strainers for straining the milk and that is kept down with the colanders and bowls. I don't have cheese cloth but I do have lots of old white T-shirts I use instead and they are down in the colander and bowl area.
    All the glass gallon jars are down with the tupperware. As I'm trying to get away from using plastic that area isn't quite so full anymore but it is filling up with all the glass gallon jars we're getting from restaurants and deli gas stations in the area! I'll pu them in the pantry if we get too full in the tupperware area.
    I do not like things on my countertops at all. My husband built the countertops 2 1/2 feet deep so I could still work and have things pushed to the back but I've found I like them totally clear.
    I hate messy areas in my own home. It hurts my psyche. LOL

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    :slapfloor:

I actually had my husband build an island that juts out from the middle of our kitchen (between the kitchen area and the dining area). All of the milking stuff goes in the cabinets under the island. We have a butter churn with an extra glass jar, cream separator, filters, and all of the glass containers in there. The large SS milking pail that we pour into to filter the milk, the SS strainer, and the small milking pail that actually goes under the does usually all hang on the pot rack above the island (in the photo, the strainer is in the dish drainer on the counter, but you can see the small SS pail we use to milk - it looks like a little like a chamber pot). I don't like a lot of stuff on my counter, either. I'm super-OCD about that. Some women marry for money, I married for my husband's awesome cabinet-making skills (oh, yeah, and I love him, too...) :wink:

Attached Files:

4. redneck_acres

redneck_acres New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Idaho
    I wish we could run across a good working cream separator that isn't to spendy-would love to make butter. We have an electric churn, but no separator. A friend of ours has a barn area big enough to heat the milk outside. I sure wish we had more cabinet space-seems like one can never have enough of that.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    After 12 years I still have absolutely no counter space or cabinets... I have a very old porceline sink with washboards on either side on top of a tin base cabinet...my portable dishwasher acts as a storage cabinet as well as counter space. After adding up all the $ we put into goat housing and pens over the last 10 years, I could have had a CUSTOM KITCHEN!! But who needs that when my kids come first.
    Milking supplies are washed and left to air dry on the washboard ready to go, filyers are in the box next to my coffee pot, jars and lids in the dishwasher, cheese making supplies are kept in a drawer elsewhere.

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    OMG, Liz...I have wanted a sink like that for years! They are called farm house sinks and are rather valuble. I look on craigslist and ebay all the time but usually the nice vintage ones are way out of my price range. I would take that sink over a custom kitchen anyday! :)

7. MiGoat

MiGoat New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    West Michigan
    When my husband was builiding my dream kitchen I looked and looked for a sink like Liz's too but they were just too darned expensive.
    Your sink made it through the evil 70's renovations where cabinets were dark brown and counter tops were orange Liz. Oh and those gorgeous sinks like you have were thrown out in favor of those gastly cheap thin enamel over metal sinks. :)