My lab is sick and it is Sunday

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by [email protected], Oct 11, 2009.

1. Kat@Redbud

[email protected] New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    SW MO
    My Lab (male) has not been acting like himself, we just thought it was because the Girls were in heat on comin into it, but last night Saturday late, as I was leaving to pick up my son around 10:30 PM, I found hm curled up in the ditch at the end of the lane. This behavior is very unusual especailly for him. H e is by nature a timid dog but he seems oddly more so, I forcably put Gauge in the cab of the truck and drove him home, where my husband beded him while I went to pick up our son.(He had no physical signs of anything wron
    This morning he seems to have blood in his urine....so does anyone have suggestios?
    He was hit by a car years ago and has nerve damage in his front right leg, but this is a totally new ailment. I am concerned that maybe he was hit again last night, but other than the blodd he shows no other symptoms.
    Well there it is, can it wait until the morning...or should we head to emergency care?

Kat

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Kat, I believe you are the only one that can make that call wether to run him in or wait till tomorrow. You know if he is getting worse. I just hate the way they gouge you on the weekend. I swear if I was a vet I would have weekend hours (normal charges) because they would make a lot of money for things just llike this. I am so sorry about him I sure hope he pulls out of it.

Now something I did for a kitten that was almost dead because it was attacked by something. I took it to one of those weekend vets. They wanted her to stay overnight, have IV fluids and all this other stuff. The minimum fee was going to be $800.00. :? . No way was I spending this on a barn cat. I already had to pay over $100.00 because it was a Saturday night. They wrote me a very nasty letter and sent me on my way. They said I was not a person to have animals and it was just cruel to take that kitten him because she was going to die, (they told me they could not guarantee that she would of lived after paying the $800.00), they said that there was a staff member that would take her and care for her like she should be. OH Lord, you said this to the wrong person. Well, I went back in madder then a crazy person and told them a few things. I told them that if they would charge me the price they would charge the employee them I would consider keeping her there, I told them that if they would like to come to my place and take care of all the animals that I do, and then they can decided if I was FIT to have animals. When I mentioned all the animals I had they were like OH I am sorry. Most of them turned up their noses when I told them about all the barn duties I do. Sure you are a animal lover but only small animals, so when they can take care of all my animals and try to figure how I can spend $800.00 on a kitten that will more then likely get eaten by a dog, fox or whatever, and take the food away from the other animals, then that is fine.

OK, sorry got on a soap box.

What I was trying to say was I gave her Nutri Drench every like 4 hours and she made it through the night and I still have her to this day. I called the cooperate office and I did get all them fired. I figured they had NOT RIGHT to do that to people.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    sorry your going through this...my guess maybe he got hit again, like you were saying. same symptoms that our cat had..except he was limping too. :hug: :hug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    To be honest - it sounds like he needs to go in sooner then later. Blood in the urine can be a simple fix of antibiotics for a urinary tract infection all the way to abdominal hemoraging. Does his stomach seem to be bloated or does he winch in pain when you palpate any where on his body? Does he seem disoriented? What is his body temp? Is he eating or drinking at all?

If it is a UTI - and if you have ever had one - they hurt terribly and make you feel aweful. For them to get to that point - then they have had it for a bit, and the longer you wait, the more damage to the liver and kidneys it can create.

It is totally up to you what you would like to do - wether it be wait till morning or go to the pet ER - but if it was me - I would take him in, more so to rule out the possiblity of internal damage from being hit by a car.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    My mom had a dog years ago that acted very much like your lab, urine with blood and in pain......she had kidney stones.....vet did surgery and you would not believe the bottle full of stones my mom brought home from vet, that they removed from the dog. She lived for many more years and was just fine, accept she had to be on a special food.
    Good luck with your pup, Denise

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with ...Allison ....please have him checked out by your vet....if he was hit by a vehicle....he may have internal injuries.....if that is the case .....he may be bleeding from within....and should be seen right away.... :hug: If it is infection or stones....it can wait ..til the next day...but the risk of not knowing ....can be serious..... :hug: :pray:

7. powderhooves

powderhooves New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Oh Lori I can't even imagine someone treating YOU that way!!!! :veryangry:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    How is the dog? Did you get him in?

OH yes, but not again.

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  10. Kat@Redbud

[email protected] New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    SW MO
    :( Thank you all!
    Sorry I have gotten back to you sooner, I have tried but been unable to get the server to cooperate with ...well anyway.
    Gauge was put down at the vets on Monday morning, the vet told us that it was prostrate cancer. We were shocked he was so young, at least to us. :tears:
    Thanks for your suggestions and concern.
    Kat

Attached Files:

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OH Kat, I am so sorry to hear that. I sure wish there was something you could of done, but he is no longer in pain.

He looks a lot like my dog Kiki, but he is a lot bigger.

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Aww! :( I am SOOO sorry!! :hug: :hug:

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so very sorry..... :( . for your loss....it is never easy.... :hug:

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :hug: So sorry you had to make that very unselfish decision. :hug:

15. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    I am so so sorry..you and your family will be in our prayers...

16. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I am so very sorry for your loss :hug: .

17. goatshows

goatshows New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    MA
    I am so sorry for your loss :hug: