The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry this is so long!
So, I had decided, at 18 months old and over 60 pounds heavy, May was ready to be bred (for the first time) this year. She is Nigerian Dwarf and shares a pen with her bossy best friend Willow, a Mini Nubian, who is extremely tall next to her. When I got May at 9 weeks old, she was scared and extremely skittish. Now she is fine with me, but always has to watch out for Willow, who will butt her away when there is fresh food or anything worth having.
I am telling you all this, because May does not show her heats very obviously, and I am wondering if it is related to her status of “underdog”.
When in heat, she didn’t even necessarily go to the fence to wave her tail at the guys, never mind calling to them! I have to go by the colour and excretions of her vulva.
I figured out, Nov. 23 she should come into heat. (I had to wait until November, because spring can still be extremely cold here until April.) I put her together with Jeffrey outside in a big area during the day for 2 days. On the first day she seemed scared of the situation, and yelled at me. My girlfriend said that when I removed myself, May did all the right things, leading him, lifting her tail, presenting her hind end, peeing in front of him, and mating happened. Apparently it was short, like tries. On the second day, she was quiet and kept doing her moves, even if I was watching. She was ok with it all now, but Jeffrey seemed very hesitant. It was his first time as well. He did a couple of quick mounts, but mostly he did all the ritual moves, like peeing on his beard and wap-wap- wapping... Also, he was very distracted by the other buck, whom he couldn’t see, but knew was over there somewhere, whacking his head in frustration. Jeffrey even got distracted by one of the wethers and I had to remove that one, for Jeffrey to get back to his job.
So, I had no idea if he managed to get May pregnant or not. Now, 3 weeks later, it is freezing cold here, but I wanted to make sure, if she is not pregnant, she would get another chance. So they went outside together, and Jeffrey went to the food! I took the food away, he noticed her and started chasing her. She yelled the whole time and ran away from him. He tried to mount her, but she wouldn’t stand. I thought maybe she needs to get used to the situation again, so I left (and no one watched). Same thing today, and when I went to check on them, she peed in front of him, he sniffed it, curled his nose and then went to the feeder.
Also, the other buck and the wethers did not show any signs of excitement.
My feeling is, she was not in heat this time, so my hope is, she is pregnant.
If you are still reading, what is your impression?
Why was Jeffrey so hesitant at the first date? Maybe I had the dates wrong? But May did all the right things and gave him lots of opportunity.
I am putting this out here, because I am still new to all of this, and have only seen one other mating, and Willow was the opposite, loud wailing for her Momo, and Momo mounted her every few minutes, so total opposite to Jeffrey.

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,585 Posts
All it takes is one time. He could have managed that easily. Being new they also get worn out from the excitement and need recovery time. In my experience, anytime they run like crazy screaming from the crazy buck, they're most definitely not in heat. I had some questionable and they'd run for their lives when not in heat, but IN heat, either stand or just do little running away but not REALLy try to get away, just shy. There is a definite difference in their demeanor.

I'd say most likely she is bred and do a test in another week or so to be sure!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!
It was also hard to know if she was yelling at me to be let in, because it was so cold! But I guess if she had been in heat, the cold wouldn’t have mattered so much.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here it is:
My little May is pregnant!!!
Yayyyy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts