my mare is back home....

Discussion in 'Horses' started by daisymay, Dec 14, 2020.

1. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    a little back story...
    isabelle is my gal. i bought her when i was training horses and brought her home at six months old(she was my dream horse). i always managed to have $ to feed,care for her. at five-six i decided to breed her. spent small fortune on frozen semen(was the best motility the vet has seen) and had it sent to the repo vet. tried five times in two years. each time it got more expensive as the vet is a few hours away and the price keeps going up.
    the third year she wasnt feeling well. she didnt want to eat. called the local vet. thought colic but she wasnt sweaty. nope. said she cant do anything but take her to osu or put her down... so in the middle of the night to morning i drove my poor girl to osu. i was so tired. she ended up having surgery and made it. was a fluke thing they said, had a small puncture in her intestine. she healed herself but the puss didnt have a place to go. A personal loan later i brought her home. The following year i just didnt havethe extra$ after still paying for her surgery. so i decided to lease her. Leased her to a well known lady an hour away as a potential broodmare , i had in the contact that she never foaled and was bred a few times along with all the vet information.if foal is produced then she will be bred back. well she foaled and i brought her home six months later. hopefully she will be bred back this spring... she is a bit thin(she is normally an easy keeper) and has sores from the bugs along with missing alot of her mane and tail. but my girls back at my new place. i havent managed to put up a fence up but luckily she is a lazy girl. im assuming i wont get a foal out of her as that is my luck but i didnt have to pay for feed for almost two years so that helped financially and i didnt have to sell her.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Just want to note quickly - they don't always have to be sweaty with colic in the early stages. I am glad she received medical attention and was okay! Enjoy having her home.

MadHouse likes this.

3. daisymay

daisymay Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2017
    oregon
    thanks... yes the only thing she had for symptoms is being told she didnt want her hay for the afternoon. so i worried the rest of the day. when i got home she still didnt want food or even to move or even to greet me other then to raise her head and her stomach wasnt making much noise. I called for after-hours which took them a few hours to get to my house even though her house is a few miles away. at least she was nice enough to bill me later as i was so stressed about having to put her down as i didnt have 10g laying around for a 50% chance of her making it.

MadHouse likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I hope it all works out for you! Congrats on getting her home.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California