my name says it all!!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cluelessgoatmom, Mar 6, 2008.

1. cluelessgoatmom

cluelessgoatmom New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Hi!!!!
    I know I really need some help here...
    I got two goats to take care of a hillside of blackberries and brush.

Right now they are getting some alfalfa, a little bit of all-stock grain and what ever they find in the pen they are in. The pen is so over grown, if one goat was not white, I would never know where thay are!!

I know they need salt, BUT...
    The only kind, my local feed store had, was for sheep.
    Everything I have read so far, says my girls need copper and they are not Sheep!!

When talking to a friend,
    He informed me that the sheep salt is what they need.
    He informed me that copper will kill my goats.
    He says that goats have the same requirments as sheep( I had those years ago)
    Another friend told me to just give them horse protien salt block, with copper?

Like I said, I am clueless...

2. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The trouble with this is that it appears that everyone is sort of right. For years goats were considered to be like sheep but then research seems to show that they need some copper but not too much. My vet inisists that copper will kill my goats (out of vet school for years and no goat training at all) which is clearly not true. A friend copper bolussed her goats and they improved a lot and certainly did not die.
    I have also read of copper toxicity in goats. My take at the moment is that goats need some copper for health but horse minerals are usually too much.
    You can get a mineral mix for goats from catalogs like Jeffers or Hoeggers. This has some copper but not too much. Sweetlix Meatmaker is favored by many but others prefer yellow mixes.
    Good for you for caring about your "weedwhackers."
    And good to have you here- watch out- goats are addictive creatures.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I really love the Meatmaker Sweetlix minerals. Their coats are gorgeous since I switched over and they are also so much helathier. I ordered mine from Jeffers. It seems like alot of money but it is well worth it. I did use Purina minerals awhile ago and they were not good IMO. The goats became scraggly, and weren't as healthy. Hope that helps! And WELCOME to the Goat Spot!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    First off, Welcome to the Goat spot!! :wave:

Second, it takes ALOT of copper to OD a goat, I've done it before accidently, if you feed a good goat mineral like sweet lix meat maker your goats will be ok on that.

5. cluelessgoatmom

Mar 2, 2008
    Thank you for the welcome!!!
    I guess I should have mentioned why I'm digging so deep into this. One of my girls came from some one who obviosly knew less about goats than I do. She was way too thin and just didn't have the sparkle I feel she should have had(if that makes sense).
    I wormed her and after a about month of regular feedings, she has put on some weight and she is now a happy, hyper, DEMON!!(she is really a sweety)
    To me, her coat is just not right? She has been shedding, but so is everthing else around here. I don't know if I'm just seeing the shedding or a problem?

Yes I got them to be "weedwhackers", but I do enjoy them. They have trained me to visit to their pen to cut brush they can't reach, on a daily basis. It is their belief I should stay there all day, but I do have other things to do! The pen has big rocks and stumps they love to play on. AND, if they can keep that hill cleaned off for me, I will built them an alter!!

I will look into the Sweetlix

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome :wave:

Sounds like they need a good mineral labled for goats - don't get an all stock mineral or one for sheep and goats.

Goats and sheep are simular in only a few ways. Goats are more like deer then sheep.

I saw a great inprovement in my goats when I just added a good minerals. Sweet Lix or purina are good choices but if you find a mineral labled for goats that will work just fine.

I have a plain salt block and minerals out and mine eat both.

keep askign questions, you won't be clueless for long :D

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    HI--

I just wanted to say Hello!!! Welcome to Goat Spot!! :wave:

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WELCOME, WELCOME to the goat spot. I am sure you will love it here as we all do.

It sounds like you have already done a HUGE improvement on your new addition. What i did when I first got started was I bought a feed like I believe it was a cattle mineral and I looked for one that had a lot of Cooper. It sounds like that is what she needs. I do agree I have to say my goats just LOVE the Sweetlix mineral. Even my new babies eat it. I did find one store here that will order it for me, so try asking a feed store around and see if they will get it. I would try one of the little stores first over the larger one. The family owned store gets it for me, the big store says no, or I have to order like 50 bags. :roll:

9. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    Welcome hope you enjoy it here. i have dairy goats & i feed a goat mineral free choice also baking soda free choice & then i put one of the d5lb salt bricks that you can get for horses. i get the red when i can because it has iodine in it. sounds like you are on the right track with them

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the redbricks have iodine in it? see look i just learned something - thanks
    My loose mineral doesn't have iodine so I was trying to find something that did.

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Stacey, do you feed kelp? If you feed kelp your goats should be getting enough iodine. To much iodine prevents the absorption of copper.

12. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    i was told many years ago when i hjad horses that the only difference in the red or white salt brick is the red one has iron in it. my does will go to a white one but not like they do the red one. i go thru about 1 a month in 3 stalls. i always keep one in with my bucks to so they will drink more water.

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you feed loose mineral also? I have loose mineral, Sea Kelp, and Baking soda for them all, but I also have the blocks for the horses, but my bucks likes to lick them also, but I do see them getting the major mineral consumption form the loose.

14. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Welcome to TGS!!! You can use a cattle mineral for your goats.

15. cluelessgoatmom

Mar 2, 2008
    Thank you again, for the welcomes!!!!

Hubby is going to hit a couple of feed stores on his way home tonight(if he gets off in time). If he can't find what I need, I should have his truck this weekend to check a couple of other places. I also need a few salt blocks for my cows, so the search is on!!!

Another question??
    Are my girls going to kill my fruit trees? I know they will strip them of leaves as much as they can, but will they eat the bark? One of the apple trees makes tons of yucky apples, I just let the local wildlife have them. Should I pick them this year, so the girls don't get them?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    they probably will eat the bark of the trees. And the apples are fine for the goats