My new 2.5 week old buckling is humping my 5 week old

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by CodyAcres, Mar 9, 2009.

1. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Ok. Is this normal?

I heard my Little Boo (5 week old Boer buckling) hollar last nite and I jumped up to go check on him, as he's outside now and I worry about him. The 2 week, 3 day old nubian buckling that we got last week was following him everywhere humping him. Little Boo would try to lay down and go to sleep, but Mossberg would keep nipping at his face and ears until he got him to get up, then would follow him around humping him.

Do I worry about this? I'm getting them both banded, but wanted to wait until at least 4 to 6 weeks old. When he is banded, will he quit with this humping stuff?

Thanks,
    from a new goat owner

2. Coraxfeather

Coraxfeather New Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Slippery ROckPA
    He is showen domance over little Boo hun . Totaly natural. Pani was humping my legg before he was a month old.

3. CodyAcres

CodyAcres New Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Rural Oklahoma
    Ok, so I have nothing to worry about. My poor Little Boo, he's my first goat, I love him so much, he should be the dominant one LOL!!

They're sleeping in a temporary chicken tractor that I made for my banties (they're in a new pen now) and poor Little Boo kept trying to get in the nesting box to get away.

Thank you.
    Jamie

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    when I had little boys doing that to siblings when out there I would give them a good flick on the nose and say NO. If the one goat is upset then you wnat him to stop as much as possible. He is extra hormonal :roll: Banding him will help but wont stop such behavior all together if it is a dominance thing. Lets just hope it is hormones.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    All my little boys are mounting each other right now. It's actually pretty funny when the miniMancha tries to hump one of Xcell's kids because he usually just walks right over him he is so tall. :ROFL:

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I only have a few bucks but I tell you they ALL go after out little Matty. They will not leave her alone. I guess she is the cute one of the group, and she is one that we are keeping. I guess the boys know a good looking doe when they see one. :ROFL: All the boys were started on Anica Montana so I can band them.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with stacey....this is normal....and they even do there "what"..."what" calls...like mini me's....LOL...sounds like big bucks in a baby voice...it is hilarious to hear..... :ROFL:

8. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Yup I have four little bucklings right now and they run around humping everything in sight! :ROFL:

9. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Right.... :ROFL: My little buckling is chasing his sister around making miniature buck sounds ( he is even flapping his little tongue!). can't wait till he is weaned. :sigh:

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Be careful with this little guy. Baby bucklings can and do breed their sisters and moms BEFORE weaning.

11. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I was rather glad to be rid of one of my bucklings. He was constantly humping all the other goats. He spent most of his day flapping his lips and stamping his feet at one of our does who was four times as big as him. By the time he and the other boy went to their new homes, they had worn through the top layer of hair on their sister's rump! I think she was glad to see them go also...

12. Maggiesmomma4evA26

Maggiesmomma4evA26 New Member

May 25, 2013
    So its possible for my 4 week old twins to mate?! Asking because my little bambi and his sister zoey are 4wks old and hes always humping her and when my kids go near her he already butts them. their mom is our first so we dont know much bout goats.

13. GTAllen

GTAllen Goat Feeder

Jul 22, 2012
    Walters, Oklahoma
    No, he is not.

14. Kaneel

Kaneel New Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Soon...NW Oregon
    Well it is possible for them to mate, but I don't think they can be fertile at that age, so you're good for now :) It is probably just a dominancy thing, but I would suggest removing him from his mother and sister as soon as he turns about 7 weeks, thats when he can start be be fertile. Also, if he is head butting you, do not let him. It may be cute and harmless now, but when he's a big guy, it will hurt, bad. Take a squirt bottle(filled with plain water) out with you and every time he tries to headbutt...*squirt!* he should get the message after a while.