My new girls

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Lawanda, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Here is the only good pic I have got of them so far.

[​IMG]

Meet Patches who is 12, and her daughter Belle who is 5 :) Patches' ears are small cuz when she was a baby, the tips got froze off. Isn't that awful? But so cool that she survived it and is still alive and kicking!? (literally kicking, too, but I will get to that! haha)

I have some questions, and they are stupid, so forgive me!

First, I thought only Billy goats had beards! These girls both do! Is that normal? haha

They also have wattles. Is that good?

Also, do you all still think they look like Alpines?

Do they look healthy? They seem healthy, although the long, long trip up here may not have done them any good. I noticed Patches' nose is a little runny like this morning...

They are not too friendly (and by "not too friendly" I mean MEAN! haha), but I am hoping we can win them over. Another question I have is, how long should I wait to put them in the same field/pen with other goats? Hope, as you know, should be preggers, and I don't want them to hurt her, or my other two babies (Bella and her sister Alice)... So I don't know if we will have to keep them separate a long time, or if goats can sort things out without killing each other, or what?!

Pardon my ignorance, and I would appreciate answers to any of these questions and your thoughts on how my new girlies look, healthwise! :)

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    As to their breed -- not sure how big of a space they are in so its hard to determine size.

I would keep them separate for a good 4 weeks to watch for sickness or anything. YOu want ot keep them in a small area too so you can tame them up. If you have a separate pen that is best.

3. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    They are beautiful. Its a shame about the ears. I have several alpines mine do not have horns. Are they alpines they could be but I would need better pictures.

Be careful introducing the new goats if your others do not have horns.

CONGRATS
    Suellen

4. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I would keep them separated for a while. When you say mean, are they mean to you? If that is what you are meaning, as in rearing up, wanting to head butt or charge at you, be careful.

5. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Our other goats do have horns, but are much smaller than these ones. And yes, they are mean as in butting our hands if we get near them, etc. We will keep them separate for a while. We have two pens.

I am going to try and get better pics of them in a bit :)

6. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Ok, well be careful with them. Hopefully they wont esclate from butting at your hands. The buck kid I had was mean until he calmed down. Hopefully they will calm down and not be rough. :wink: Congrats on the new goats!

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    from these pics look like alpines to me.
    waddles are fine! just 'goat jewelry'
    and yep, all goats can grow beards, though I've never seen them on a boer doe :shrug:

wow look at them' horns! very impressive,hopefully they'll settle down.

8. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Haha! I don't know why, but the beards make me giggle! LOL The wattles are cute! And the horns scare me, they are using them as weapons! EEEK!

I got some pics of them, we got them in their pen, and the mama keeps butting the pen, so we are hoping it will hold up!

I hope they calm down. We got them from a very dear friend and mentor who is aging and cannot take care of them any longer.

Here are some more pics. Mama Patches is smaller then Belle the daughter!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That is my 14 year old dd, Kela standing there.

[​IMG]
    Belle

Them in their pen
    [​IMG]

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Wow look at those horns! I just love the way they look. I hope they warm up to you soon.

10. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I forgot to mention that Belle is lame on her front left foot. I think it is her left. You can see her babying it in the pics. She is acting a bit droopy, but I am thinking it is because of the transition, hopefully not the lame foot. I guess she hurt it when she and Patches were playing the other day.

I have been going down ever so often and talkin' to them :)

I so hope they get friendlier, because I would love to milk them, eventually!

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    They try and butt your hands because they are scared, not neccessarily mean. Very impressive horns too, be cautious around them of course but do not be afraid of them. If you are apprehensive about being around these pretty girls because of their horns, they will sense that and it will take much longer for them to trust you. They do look to have Alpine in them....maybe even a bit of Toggenberg.

And yes, even does have beards....My eldest doe has one that is about 5 inches long.

12. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    I think they are calming down now! I have a feeling they are only scared and not mean, but they are also a bit wild because they pretty much just ran the field down there. Though he did give them grain every night, so I guess they were used to him! :)

We have been down there talking to them, and they are only butting when we are not there and one of the other goats comes near their pen.

I am so new at this, I just don't want any of them to hurt the others!

Their horns are HUGE. Especially on Belle. Is that a trait they are likely to pass down? Because I love horns, but I may consider disbudding (is that the right word?) their babies if their horns will get that huge, cuz they are kinda scary....

13. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes, horn size is inherited. If you look at my website, Bootsie is 9 years old...her horns are big and tall...her daughter, Tilly, is on my memorial page, Tilly's horns at 6 years old were tall as well.

14. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well, now that they are being friendlier, the horns aren't quite as scary! :greengrin:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You are actually pretty lucky with their horns.....they curve backwards! Less chance of an accidental "poke" from the tips...With my Boots and Heidi, there is no curve at all, I need to be more mindful of the tips than of the base :shocked:

16. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    My word those horns are something! I would be so worried about them getting caught in everything.

They're beautiful goats. Congratulations!

17. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Funny story: My daughter Faith went outside to the garage to sharpen her pencil this morning and she ran back in the house yelling, "Mom, did you let the new goats out?!" I was like... "NO!!!" and went running. Somehow they had got out of their pen! The door was open, nothing was broken! It has a latch that you have to pick up and scootch over, so it is a real mystery!! :scratch: But anyhow, they were chasing the other girls, so I managed to get THEM in THEIR pen, and then waited a while and they finally mosied on up to their pen and I shut them back in. They are still there.

I have no idea how they got out.

But they only head butted Hope a little and chased them around some, and no damage was done! :thumbup:

WHEW!! hahaha