The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the new goat I bought at the sale barn yesterday, she so sweet I had to get her. She is in bad need of copper and groceries. I gave her a copper bolus and cd&t shot yesterday when I brought her home. Part of the reason she is so thin is because she still had babies on her and they were very healthy, but plenty old enough to be weaned. Her eye lids are bright pink so I didn't deworm her. I will update with pics from time to time to show how she is improving. I'm excited to have her as an addition to the herd.

Attachments

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Agreed! She looks pretty young, like 2 years old maybe? Should give you some nice babies when she gets all fixed up :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, according to her teeth it appears that she is about 2 years old.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
she's adorable! looks just like my Buttercup! I bet she'll look great after all the TLC you'll give her

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I gave her a copper bolus and cd&t when we first got her home. I wormed her with Safeguard which I think is useless. Wormed her again with Ivomec Plus and injected it on Saturday and yesterday she started with scours. Does worming sometimes cause scours? I gave her Pepto, which by the way she loved. :)
And I ended up having to change her name from Ally to Ellie, I kept on calling her that by mistake so she is now Ellie Mae.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
My guess is the scours from all the new, rich feed. At her old home she was most likely getting only crappy hay judging her condtion, and having two kids still nursing, it's of course not enough. I would take her off any pasture, and just give her access to nice, green grass hay, and minerals. Give her some electolites (spell check isn't working any more :p ) and let her tummy settle. Don't let her get too dehydrated. Once her tummy is settled for a few days, let her out on the pasture for a couple hours each day for a week, then work up to adding a little alfalfa, grain, etc to get her weight up :)
Good luck! She's a pretty girl. Though I would wait quite a while till you breed her... Get her weight up, dry her off, then give her a year or so to make sure she is 100% till you breed her :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the response. I don't plan to have her bred until she is in must better health.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts