MY new goatie is pg!!

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Victoria, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    So I brought this doe home early in November, she is a georgeous little Nigerian out of Prairie Wood Nigerians. I have been wanting to put her in with my stinky boy, and wondering why she isn't showing signs of being in season?? I actually thought she may be infertile!! So today as I was out cleaning and dealing with buckets of rain pouring out of the sky, I thought she was looking rather full..so I checked and sure enough, she is working on an udder!!!
    My last FF decited to wait forever while building her udder, and I think I will lose my marbles if Gypsy (the new doe) waits forever!! I didn't check her ligaments yet, I will in the AM when I feed..
    I am just wondering what experience any of you have had with surprize breedings like this?
    I can feel babies moving, but she's not all that big, just full looking, her udder isn't real small..so I'm thinking it may be sooner than later!!??
    Any ideas??

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    So do you think she was bred at her former owners place? that would be my guess if you never saw her go into heat.

I would first contact the person you purchased her from and find out if their buck got out or she did at any point this past fall. That will give you a better idea of a time frame. If there was NO chance she could have been bred at her former owners then the earliest she could be due is counting 150 days from when you brought her home -- beings that you say you have a buck.

Do the buck and does share a fenceline or anything?

guessing a goats due date can be rather tricky, I dont wish to be in your shoes at all.

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Congratulation. She must be farther along then you think to already starting a bag, unless she just gets it really early. :shrug:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    It would be wonderful if you could get some pictures including her cha cha - and we might be able to get a better idea for ya :wink:

I would definately contact the person that you got her from, as mentioned, and maybe they can give you some insight!!!

5. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Sorry, I forgot to mention I did contact the previous owner. When I bought Gypsy she said the goats had never been together, and they were secure , no way she could be bred. I don't know why I asked, but hey, boys will be boys right..
    So she said she seperated the little girls from the bucks at 4 1/2 months. Gypsy was born on 4/1/08..so she must have been bred in the middle of Aug...She told me that goats don't come into season until they are atleast six months old..hmmm.. I wonder where she got that false info from..
    Anyways, so best I can tell, she will be kidding in January. She even knows the buck that bred her..thankfully so we can get the babies registered...whew..
    I will get pics of her 'chacha' (that is too cute!!) and her udder and try to figure out how to put them on here for all to see.
    I think too that I will take her for an ultrasound when I work next, to try to see how far along she is, and possibly get a head count.
    She is fairly young, but she is a healthy girl, and not too small, so I am sure she will be fine..
    Thanks guys for your support!! :wink: it is very appreciated!!

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    You will have babies soon..it's Jan. 2009 already...LOL!

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Okay, you asked for it, here's her cha cha.. Her vulva doesn't look all that long to me, and I did check her ligs, they are a bit loose but not exciting. She wants to know why I am fussing over her back side all the sudden. sorry i couldn't get a shot of the udder..my clippers are on the fritz!!
    So what do ya think??
    Okay, maybe I am a computer short bus type of person, let me try to upload it again..

8. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I didn't see a picture? Try to upload it again.

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Here is the pic of victoria's goatie - what do you all think???

[​IMG]

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I say she is preggo. :)

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats good news that you know the kids dad. It would be disapointing to not be able to register them.

let us know how the ultra sound goes.

13. Laurel_Haven

Laurel_Haven New Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    Sounds like you got the "bonus package"... :thumbup:

14. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Yea, you're right! I got a free breeding anyways!! And to a pretty nice buck!! Yea!!
    We like nice bucks!!

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    praying for an easy delivery and healthy kiddos

16. Candy

Candy New Member

You'll have to get a breeding memo from the owner of the buck if you want to register the kids. Let her know as soon as possible about the pregnacy. Hopfully you won't have a problem. :?
    Candy :sun:

17. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would say that you should be getting babies in the next couple weeks.....and I know for a fact that those sweet little doelings can come into heat at 4 months ...I had an "oops" with Angel last year and she too was a "big" girl for her age, delivered a very healthy single doeling a couple weeks before her 9 month "birthday"....though my doeling never did form very much of an udder, she fed her baby just fine.

Heres to a healthy happy delivery :hug:

18. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Well, I heard today that she was probable bred the first or second week of September..So February babies! I don't like winter babies!! Oh well! They will be great and healthy!! Can't wait to see them!