My new nigerian dwarf babies, I got today.

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by WalnutGroveFarm, Feb 10, 2009.

1. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi, all thought I would share new pics of my babies with you all. I picked them up today at 11. They are only two days old. These are my first bottle babies. Im so scared of over feeding them or drowning them but Im doing my best. Any suggestions you all might have on bottle feeding them im all ears.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    awe such handsome fellows!

Did the owner give you any milk that they were currently on? I hope so. If you are going to use anything different I suggest you mix it slowly so they dont get the runs.

A little pepto in their bottle or syringed fed will help with any runs they may get from the changes in milk.

How much are they currently eating? are they good on the bottle?

3. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    She only gave me half a bottle of goat milk, she was milking mommy and feeding them. She told me to take it home and mix it with Vit. D and feed that to them from now on. They are good on the bottle, but im a little worried about the little buckskin he seems a little week in the back legs, and seems like he kinda humps up. Im so worried about them. They are my first registered babies and I dont want to loose them. I just feed them a little bit ago and they eat about 2 1/2 ozs a piece. She told me to only feed them three times a day. Does that seem like enough, it didnt to me. Thanks for your help.

4. heavenlyhaven

heavenlyhaven Senior Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Belmont, NY
    you should feed them a couple of ounces every couple of hours for the first 2 weeks
    upping the amount of feed as they want
    then you can slowly cut back to 4 times a day
    i feed Hope at 10 2 6 10 then she goes the night without
    sometimes if i am up early or up late she will get a 5th bottle
    but, actually, Hope is 2months old now and gets anywhere from 16-32 oz per feeding, depending on her
    3 bottles a day is no where near enough for a 2 day old goat
    and
    they will do fine on VitD milk
    however, neat little trick i just learned,
    bottle babies dont seem to grow the way dam raised babies do
    so
    once they get about 2 weeks old buy some oatmeal baby cereal and add a bit to their bottles once or twice a day
    i'm at the poin that i give a little to Hope at every feeding
    she is almost as big as my lab/collie mix
    she weighed approx 7# at birth and by a month (i think) she was up to 30#

5. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Thanks for all the helpful information. I can use all I can get. They are so cute. She didnt give me the registration papers today she took my address and said she had alot of paper work to fill out, and then she would send them to me. But wont their ears have to be tatooed first before they can be registered.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Awe...adorable!!!

As far as tattooing.....you may be able to get a breeder to do that or even a vet, most breeders don't tattoo that young or even disbud..which is anothe consideration if you want to show them.

I would talk to the breeder they came from...she should offer you advice on those or may even suggest bringing them back for it to be done.....also, with the goat milk you have, mix the GM with the cow milk half and half til the GM is gone..it eases the transition on their bellies :wink:

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes I would feed them more often - like every 2-3 hours for the first two weeks. MOre feedings with smaller amounts as oppose to fewer feedings with more milk.

For the kids back legs - try giving them both some selenium. Just get regular tablets for humans and crush them up add a little water and syringe feed. Sounds like he might be a little deficent. if you have BoSe or Selenium Gel for goats that would of course be easier.

8. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes she said I could bring them back to be tatooed. She said she would disbud them to. But I was just looking forward to getting their papers on my first registered goats, and I thought that the registration couldnt be done untill they had been tatooed. Thanks

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sometimes people send in the papers and tatoo later. It isnt the way you are SUPPOSE to do it 1 reason being if you mess up then you have to pay to get their papers changed to the correct tattoo on the goat. I am sure they are other quality control issues too. But yes you can get them tattooed later after registration. I did that with my Sweet Pea. She was over 2 before she was tattooed (kidded too with registered kids then i Realized she wasnt tattooed so I went ahead and did that according to her papers)

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The recipe I have used in the past for their home made formula is 1 gallon whole milk (vit d) take out 2 cups and set aside. Add 1 cup buttermilk and 1 can evalopated milk. It gives them a bit more of what they need.

They are absolutely adorable!!

Congrats!

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Allison so you mix two cups whole milk and one cup evaporated milk adn one cup buttermilk?

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    sorry that I didn't make that more clear -

You add the 1 can evaporated milk and the 1 cup of buttermilk to the milk jug - shake well and make sure to label.

The 2 cups you set aside you can use in your cereal! :wink:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh ok. I need to save this for my records. I have never had good luck with just plan Whole milk and I never remember to save "your" recipe. Thanks

14. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    I feed my bottle babies the goat's milk in a can at the grocery store. Its not cheap. Its condensed so you mix it half/half with water. I then work them up to a whole milk halfer with the goats milk. They do excellent on this.

15. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    They are GORGEOUS!! :love: Here is a chart that I have for bottle feeding minis, and it has the mixture Allison is talking about on it :wink:

[​IMG]

If it will help any you are more than welcome to print out a copy of it :wink:

Stacey- I can send you the microsoft word document for the chart if you would like :thumb:

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    All i can add to this is AAAAAAWWWWWWW, They are adorable. Congratulations.

17. Julie

Julie New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Southern PA
    awwww - how adorable !!!

As for bottle feeding, I created a pdf last year all about bottle feeding. There's alot of info in it. You can save it to your computer for future reference. And/or print it out. Here's the direct link to the pdf - http://juliesfunnyfarmlibrary.tripod.co ... eeding.pdf
    Give it a few minutes to load if needed. There's alot of info on it and graphics, etc. so it may take a minute or two to fully load.

The information in the pdf is based on my personal experiences with bottle feeding. Hope you can use it :)

18. Sundari

Sundari New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Denver, CO
    They're gorgeous!! Congratulations! :) It makes me even more excited for my Nigi babies. :)

-Sundari
    ---
    Heirloom Gardens
    An urban, multi-plot farm in the heart of Denver.
    http://www.eatwhereUlive.com

19. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  20. WalnutGroveFarm

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Hi thanks all for the replies, so far they are doing really good. They seem to always be ready to eat. As soon as I walk into the barn and they hear my voice they know what time it is. They come running already. I did want to ask should I be wiping their butts to make them poo, are do goats do this on their own. Thanks for everyones comments, and all the help I get from this board.