The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so after taking a couple weeks to find out what I really wanted in my herd, I have a new plan:) Yeah, go figure LOL!!:) I figured out I like uniqueness, I'm not partial really to one breed, yes I love Oberhasli's but I love the mixes just as well. I will slowly switch my breeding stock to registered, keeping only a few non registered I was wanting to get rid of my kinder girls in the spring but since they are year around breeders I will keep them so I can have a fresh milk supply year around. I have an oberhasli alpine mix and she is staying as well, all non registered.

So I was kind of thinking of mixing a Saanan doe to a Nubian buck, so therefore you would have a large amount of milk from the Saanan side, and the milk would have a higher butter fat content from the Nubian side:) Those 2 I'll be on the hunt for in the spring.

I'm already in the process of doing a Nuberhasli, my Nubian doe bred to my ober buck. Can't wait to see that mix:) Both mom and dad came from a great milk line:) Still hoping my boy will be able to be papered, so they can be registered experimental.

Now, I have a kinder doe bred to my ober buck, this was an accidental breeding, but I'm really excited to see this mix. All of these would remain unregistered... Even if I had a registered kinder doe, they can only be registered through the KGDA, so the ober couldn't be registered there.

I will be getting a registered ober buck as well in March or there abouts, as well as a purebred ober doeling..:)

Last but not least in this whole plan, Alpines:) I may just get one of each registered and do some mixing with them. Although I may wait on the buck as I think 2 ober bucks, 1 Nubian buck, and a kinder buck (possibly 2 if I keep mine and the one I'm co owning with a friend)

Yikes, that's a lot of goats;) I better be on a search for a husband to help LOL:)

I'm planning on selling kids either registered or non. That way they will have to pay the extra if the want registered, if not then they can have the cheap price.

Yes, I do think I'm probably goat certifiable NUTS!! LOL:)

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I think that sounds like a good plan because it's what YOU like and what YOU want, which is important! :)

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're giving me a headache ;) So, now you want the Alpine/Nubian doe? I have a purebred Alpine buck for sale as well. :p
Hmmm, you are the one that told me to think about what I really wanted in my herd...;) I'm betting you won't tell me to sit down and think about anything again....;) LOL The problem with me is I like them all, so I might as well make some good experimental mixes if I'm going this route. Actually if I get a purebred Alpine doe, I'm quite certain that it will be crossed with my Nubian buck at some point:) Now your Alpine buck, not that I really want to get another buck at this point, at least not until I get some good pens built, but how much, how old, and is he well behaved?

·
I'm watching you
22,551 Posts
He's well behaved for a buck. Very easy to handle, lead, and such. Does fine with other boys, is a little overbearing in the doe pen and will chase does that run from him. Attached is a pic of one of his doelings from this year.

He will be 2 years in Feb. His dam milked 15lbs. a day as a 2 year old FF. Price is negotiable, I will be traveling to Enumclaw this spring.
http://adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=A001584692

If you prefer a kid I should have kids from him and this doe as well.
http://adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=A001612023

Attachments

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm, okay... I will think on it and plan buck arrangements for either him or a kid in mind, since I can't decide. So if I get one of yours, I'll have 2 ober bucks, and a Nubian buck + a kinder, and a alpine buck. That is 5 bucks... Wow, I don't think I'm going to want that, so I can just send my doe or does out for Nubian service, so I won't have to own a Nubian buck, they are pretty popular around here. I could either wether Charlie, or sell him so I would only have 1 ober buck. Now that would mean I am down to a kinder buck, ober buck and Alpine buck, whew that's better:)

·
Registered
10,755 Posts
You are a better woman than I am if you are going to have that many bucks of different breeds to keep up with, I have to admit I am getting confused just reading about it! :laugh:

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are a better woman than I am if you are going to have that many bucks of different breeds to keep up with, I have to admit I am getting confused just reading about it! :laugh:
Umm, yeah your not the only one:) LOL. That's why I need that husband ASAP:)

After thinking while being out there with my little stinkers, I guess I will just get Goathiker's alpine buck, or kid, and just have the 3 bucks. 1 ober, 1 kinder (I'm co owning with some friends of mine) and then an Alpine:) That is only 1 more then what I have now, so that won't be too bad:)

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
You're giving me a headache ;) So, now you want the Alpine/Nubian doe? I have a purebred Alpine buck for sale as well. :p
You lied, he's not a purebred, he's an american! :slapfloor:

Sorry, I had too :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts