My new website! What do you think?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I have wanted a website for several years, and have even made two failed attempts. I had the sudden urge to finally make one today, so I did. Here is the link: http://herdonthehillalpines.webs.com/ What do you think? I raise French and American Alpines in Ohio, and although my herd is very small, its increasing and improving, and I figured it was about time for my own website. I know I have a lot to add to it, but what should I add? I hope to at least add a photo gallery when the kids are born, and definetely better photos of the does when they freshen next month. Yes, I know this is a weird time of the year to start a website. Is there anything you don't like about the site? Or that you do like? What else should I add to the home page? I'm trying to keep the site clean, simple, and appealing. Also, how do get people to visit my site? I have posted it to my facebook, a livestock forum, and sent the link to a friend who is part of a goat organization. What else can I do to advertise? ANY imput here would be greatly appreciated!

2. firelight27

firelight27 Hopelessly Addicted

Apr 24, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    As you said, I would add photos of new kids on a New Arrivals page, and I would also add a kidding schedule page to show who is bred to who and when they are due.

3. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I love the idea of a new arrivals page! I may add a blog as well...

I do have a breeding list up, it is under the For Sale page. I may seperate the two though.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    looking good.

as to advertising - there is a section on your webs manager to do tags and meta tags I believe they are called. Put in things like "goats, alpine goats, goats for sale, dairy goats, milk goats," anything related etc. It helps search engines categorize your website for searches

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.... and it is looking great...... :thumb: :hi5:

6. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thank you both so much! :D
    Stacey, I found the tags,

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    I added pedigrees to each page, I'm hoping that will get more interest.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wink: :hi5:

9. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I love the photo on the home page!!!

In terms of feedback I prefer when the breeding page or chart is separate from a sales page. Especially since you may retain some of the kids so not all may end up for sale.

10. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thank you Amika!
    I will edit that tonight hopefully!

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I always think of my website being a work in progress. It takes time and effort to maintain and create a website. Look at others and see what draws you in and try to create something of your own in the same manor

12. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Thank you Stacey, I plan on making quite a few changes today to improve it.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Nupine! you have busters sister!!! sorry random outburst, I had one of prodigy's older brothers from peek a boos first kidding.

14. rocky_ridge_goats

rocky_ridge_goats New Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I really like it.. from design's sake. I don't know much about Alpines, but I liked your descriptions of each goat!