The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I FINALLY gave Breck a haircut, and here he is! He hated every minute of it, and one of the does in heat kept coming around and he would go berserk. :eyeroll: but I think he looks a lot better, and he's a different color now too.

The captions are below the pics they belong to, for some reason.

image-2861105048.jpg

First is a recent pic

image-2230610251.jpg

Here he's set up as best I could get him. Feel free to tell me what you all think of him! :) he's to be my herd sire for who knows how long (since I couldn't afford another for quite a while anyway) not that I'd want another, I love him. He's a little shy, but sweet all the same. :)

image-3600586366.jpg

And from the front. I tried really hard to get one from behind, but he kept freaking out when I went behind him. :)

image-3346832349.jpg

And this one is just so you can see my little ND doelings behind him. They are tiny! I'm working on that, they were stunted when I got them, I think from tapeworms, yuk. They are four and a half months old, and only around 20 pound each. Once they're big enough, they will most likely be bred to him as well. :)

image-1036246258.jpg
Umm, yeah this pic was supposed to be first, sorry! This was a while back-just another before pic. :)
Okay, I think that's it for now! Tell me what you think. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, here's a few pics of the five month old doelings. The black and white one is Dotty, and the black one is Moonbeam, for the white streak on her leg. (I think that's a pretty cool marking, never seen it like that before) they aren't really set up right, but any thoughts on them are welcome too. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Dang, look at him! Would have never known that he was so tiny under all that hair, you missed the tail though :lol:

His rump is much nicer after that hair cut! His brisket vanished though!

I'm gonna have to give you a critique in the morning though, I gotta milk goats, feed calves, and whatnot, then I'm going to bed. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I didn't MISS the tail, he wouldn't let me touch it! LOL I had enough of a time just trimming his back legs! Every time I touch 'em, he'd do a flip just about. :p
besides, poor goats always look ridiculous with their tails trimmed, IMO.
BTW, even though his horns scare me a little, they make the BEST handles! I don't think I coulda done it without being able to hang onto those things, lol. He's much better behaved when I hold his horns than his collar.
Yeah, I'm kinda sad he has no brisket to speak of, but other than that, and a little toe out, I like him. I guess his rump could be a little flatter, lol (trying here :) )
I guess he does look a lot smaller, but he's a pretty good size; about 90 lbs. I laugh because Our alpine buckling is taller than him and weighs like 25 -30 lbs less. Nigerians are solidly built! :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, yeah, and did I mention it was really windy while i was doing it, so I pretty much had hair in my eyes the whole time. ;)Oh, and I'm really happy that he seems to walk uphill a bit! Obviously the other two doelings don't, so hopefully he'll help correct that for their kids. Though I'm hoping they'll grow out of that. :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
they're so cute!!! love your new girls. great to see they're healthy!!

there's a scraggly field goat that looks almost like your Breck. Breck is much more handsome and better put together though. love that face!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, yes they're doing fine, just not growing fast enough for me, lol! Though I think they're almost double the weight they were when I got them! So they're making progress. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Alrighty then.....

Cons:
Needs brisket
Rump is a bit steep
Could definiately use a larger spring of rib
Toe out in front
Lacks power in the front end assembly
Needs more depth into the rear barrel
Lacks width

Pros:
Nice uphill stature
Nice rear leg angle
Strong pasturns
Nice amount of body depth
Strong topline
Nice strength to the chine
Neck blends nicely into the withers
Neck blends well into what brisket he does have
Front legs are straight (no bowing)
Chest floor blends very well into the heart girth
Nice thurls
Nice bone pattern throughout
Nice rump length
Shoulders are nice and flat to the body
Has a masculine appearance, while keeping dairy character
Appears to have a correct bite
Doesn't look like he toes out in the rear

His head looks like it would be top heavy! Lol, only DQ is his horns. He's a pretty nice buck, I can see him correcting quite a bit in the two doelings in the pictures.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, yep, all that is what I was thinking! Just not always sure how to put it into the right words yet, like "spring of rib" lol. :)

Woohoo, the pros outweigh the cons!!! :cool: :dance:
And don't bash my buddy's horns, I love 'em! :p

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
. He's a pretty nice buck, I can see him correcting quite a bit in the two doelings in the pictures.
Pretty nice? Don't you mean awesome? Lol, just kidding, I know he's not perfect. :p
I'm STILL working with the breeder to get him registered, it's taking a while cause she's moving or something. He has Twincreeks bloodlines, and the farm name of the breeder was Haven Acres (they're changing it, part of why it's taking so long)
I quite agree... They have their faults, many more than him, I'm afraid, but I love em too. Can't wait to see what Ella's kids will look like (she's not pictured, but she is bred to him, for those that wondered)

BTW, in case you were wondering, Moonbeam's name had nothing to do with your Moon. Seriously, I didn't even think of that when I named her; she just has this striking white leg, and white frosting in some places, so I wanted to go with something in the night sky. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Haha, to be honest with you...I didn't even remember what they were named :eek: I know, bad of me right? It just didn't stick and I didn't give it a second though. I know 3 different ladies with goats, other than you and they have does named Moonbeam.

I DO remember Ella though!

I have some naming advise for you though, NEVER name one of your animals Joeline! It will be the meanest thing ever and try to kill you! And Hosana, don't name them that either....

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol, what's so bad about the name Joeline I wonder? Maybe it's a goat thing...I can see why Hosana would be a little hard to live with though. :)

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oh no, Joeline was a cow..... a cow that would kill you.... I think it was my bad though because she was named Joeline after the Dolly Parton song (that how you spell her last name?) So.....

But Hosana was a witchy goat, with a snooty smug attitude.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts