my Nubian can not stand up

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by cyndyloguercio, Jun 15, 2015.

1. cyndyloguercio

cyndyloguercio New Member

Sep 7, 2013
    If anyone has any ideas please tell me! I have a 5 year old male Nubian with no known medical issues. Yesterday he was stumbling around and did not keep up with the rest but was still able to get around. It has been really hot and humid for New Mexico and the signs he was showing were that of dehydration. I have forced about 1 pint of gateraide in him since last night, but this morning he will not stand up at all. He has tried but keeps falling. My vet thought he may have an infection, not sure why he thought that, but I did get him the penicillin the vet advised and gave him 1 cc sub q just now. Does anyone have any idea's? Henry was a rescue and my first at that! I have been learning from him but have no idea what to do at this point?

2. gonegoaty

gonegoaty New Member

May 15, 2015
    Is he peeing? Eating hay? Does he have a fever? What about hoof condition? Any potential signs of injury?

These things might help narrow down what the problem could be. I'm sorry he's down, I am very attached to my goats too. It's important to try to get him up and moving and eating or he won't do well. It might be helpful to try to get some probiotics in him and I prefer pedialyte over gatorade. But it's important to make sure he's peeing if you're forcing fluids in him. Wethers are prone to getting urinary blockages (urinary calculi).

I'm fairly new to goats also, so I'm hoping that my reply will bump this thread and help you get more replies.

In the meantime, I noticed there's another thread about a goat that is very weak and stumbling and this reply may be helpful to you:
    I see your vet is giving penicillin - have you been giving thiamine?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015

3. cyndyloguercio

Sep 7, 2013
    Thanks for responding! Eating has not been a problem, although food has not been something I have been trying to push, its the liquids I have been pushing! Henry, my Nubian, tried to get up, I was lifting his rear, but his legs just gave out and down he goes. He does not have a fever, 101-102 since yesterday, I do not hear anything rumbling, he has his shots, I just got a bail out to the yard to prop him up on. He did have a cough that concerned me so maybe the antibiotic will not be a bad thing? hoofs are good, at least they look good? I really don't know? I am having a hard time finding a vet in this area also? as far as peeing, he did yesterday, I have not seen anything today, he has not been up?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  4. glndg

glndg Active Member

Feb 7, 2013
    I would suggest that you PM a moderator. Go to the Forum page. At the bottom is a list of people online. The moderators are in bold print.
    Hope he gets better.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Penicillin and b comolex with at least 100 mg thiamine can both be purchases at tcs..or most farm supply stores...act quick ..also Google polio in goats and click the tenn. Meat goats link for pen dose and frequency. ..sorry..im on my phone or i would post the link.

6. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Feel his under belly see if its wet...does he act in pain?..check lower inner eye kids as well for color. Pale kids mean anemia which can make him very weak

7. gypsi001

gypsi001 New Member

Jun 4, 2013
    One of my goats did this last month. We rushed her to the vet. He said she contracted tetanus. No idea how or where but she passed away the next day..

8. cyndyloguercio

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I did get the Thiamine and dosed him already, had the penicillin this morning, will give another shot tomorrow, his underbelly is not wet and there are no visible injures! His eyes are normal and alert. We did get him standing for a bit and he peed a lot! which I think is good! I have been giving him more water and Gatorade, as I want to make sure he stays hydrated? right? I guess I need to just wait and see, I will keep hydrating him and getting him up, he will go right back down, but I think moving the muscles at this time is what I want to do? right? I would take him to a vet but there are none around here that deal with goats.

9. cyndyloguercio

Sep 7, 2013
    I am new to this site, I signed up a few years ago but never actually go on! I had an issue with tetanus and one of my pygmy's and was looking for help then, I ended up taking him to my local vet, who is the best of all people! Charlie was locked up, rocking horse position but the Dr figured to just keep trying. We gave him anti toxin, and kept him hydrated, had a tech with him all day and night. It took a week but he started eating on his own, so we brought him home and had to teach him to walk all over again. I did call my vet this morning, but he thought Henry had a fever when his temp was 101. So when he said to come get penicillin and needles, I jumped and figured I would check this site. you all have been wonderful! Thank you so very much! I will keep checking here to see if anyone has any other suggestions for us! Thanks again.

Cyndy

10. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    How about M worm? Do you live where there are snails and white tailed deer? If so, Ivermectin injectable and dexamethasone are needed. Some people add large doses of Safeguard too.

11. cyndyloguercio

Sep 7, 2013
    I have to go out for a bit, if you think of anything else can you send an email? [email protected]

12. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    Vet was wrong - normal temp 1010- 103 ish - but for possible polio Pen G and thiamine are treatment -needs higher than normal doses -

13. cyndyloguercio

Sep 7, 2013
    we are in New Mexico, no snails or white tailed deer near me, but that was a thought also. I know the vet was wrong, that's what I was saying, he is a great vet, just isn't up on livestock, goats or sheep. I knew I needed penicillin and that is what he told his staff to give me. He did tell me to give 1cc a day, does that seem right? Henry weighs about 150+.

14. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

He needs 8 ccs of Pen G twice a day and 6 ccs. of the Fortified B complex 3 times a day.

15. dotandrews

dotandrews New Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Oregon
    How is Henry today? I believe this is the link that Cathy was mentioning yesterday. http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

It is filled with lots of good information.

According to the chart it looks like he would need about 9cc of penicillin every six hours up through 24 hours past his symptoms subsiding. I also have read elsewhere on this site that you shouldn't give more than 6 cc of anything in any one single site so you may want to divide the dose.

Good Luck! I have no first hand experience with this, Only what I have read on here.

16. dotandrews

dotandrews New Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Oregon
    Listen to Goathiker, not me! I was typing at the same time. They know their stuff and always give great advice!

17. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  18. cyndyloguercio

Sep 7, 2013
    OK, so, we have been out with him all day and he did stand up for a bit. I put a bail out to give him some incentive to get up, he did not get up on his own but once I got him up he was very happy and walked around a little. He is very wobbly, unstable, this is just very concerning to me! Henry was my first rescue goat, he had been mauled by Pit Bull dogs, fixed up but then tied to a trailer for just over a year and was about to go to a sell barn. My sister called me and the rest is history. Charlie, one of my pygmy's, got tetanus from a small cut around where his bands were. This was all new to me! my vet was just mortified and had me bring in the other male with a band on also. He promptly surgically removed the testes. I have to say, I don't go and pick these guys, they need someone and that seems to be me! my heart breaks when I don't know what to do!
    You folks have been such blessings for me and I can never thank you enough! I am going to go to bed pretty quick here, its 10:30 in NM right now, and I will have to wait and see what the new day brings! I will snap a shot of my Henry and post it tomorrow! Sleep well my friends! and thank you again so very much.
    Cyndy

19. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    How are things today

20. cyndyloguercio

Sep 7, 2013
    Hi, Henry still will not stay up for long. I make him get up, he pees and pooped a little today, he can walk a bit but is not stable at all. I bumped up the penicillin to 5ml and the only Thiamine we have is powder form and I've been making a paste out of it using 1 ounce scoop and giving it to him on a spoon. He has been more willing to drink water though. Where do I go from here?