The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
we need help to wean our 2 bottle fed nubians off the milk -- born on March 1st 2020,they have NEVER EVER accepted any water from a bucket/tub/pond. Its stressing me and family to the maximum as they ONLY HYDRATION is via diluted milk in BOTTLES -- we've tried adding molasses, apple cider vinegar and multiple color (was told goats prefer either yellow or blue),tried neglecting their loud calls,etc -- nothing seems to work.
Its hot summer and we added misting spray with outdoor fan to keep them comfortable and then refuse to give them the bottles -- that failed.
added apple cider vinegar to milk bottles and the water bucket -- did not have problems but refused to drink from bucket. added molasses to milk bottle anf the bucket -- they had severe diarrhoe (2 trials failed).
our whole family sat down and we analysed why they would behave this way -- our thoughts are --
1) our inexperience (firsttimmers) lead them to be too dependent on us v/s
2)they all have been denied there mamma goat (we bought them 1 week old) and they where never trained by mother nature.
3)we are doing something MAJORLY WRONG since its been 22 weeks and they have yet to be self hydrating -- our only problem.

Otherwise,I have them eating and grazing our yard,accept alfaalfa pellets,palm and oak leaves and been in a v good steady health (excpet 2 episodes of mild coccidiossis which was promplty treated.

With all the above details our major need is to make them drink on their own(we dont mind 2-3 bottle feeds a day) but presently,withthis summer heat,WE FEEL GUILTY IF WE NEGLECT THEIR CALLS,FEEL LIKE HOSTAGE WITH THEIR LOUD CALLS AND SURRENDER TO THEM WITH 7-8 SESSIONS OF BOTTLE FEED !!!!
PLS REPLY AND S.O.S

·
8,161 Posts
Wash and rinse your buckets really well. What color are the buckets? Seriously! My goats will not drink from Black buckets. Blue, green or red are ok. Yellow, no way. Ok maybe mine are neurotic!
Fill small buckets with warm water when it is normally bottle feeding time. Gently push their noses to the warm water. At first they will rebell, but once they taste the warm water, they may start drinking it.

Also, do you feed warmed milk? You could try offering cold milk then dip the noses in the warmed water. Never feed them water in the bottle. Electralytes are ok in a bottle. (Warm or cool) .

·
Super Moderator
83,058 Posts
They will drink water when they get thirsty enough and don't have a milk supply to keep them hydrated anymore when weaned.
Just monitor them.

They will see others drinking water and will to. It is monkey see monkey do. ;)

Sometimes adding a little bit of molasses to a small bucket of water may encourage them to drink, but be sure it is kept fresh.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Bottle babies will ALWAYS make you feel guilty for not giving them thwir bottle on time..for walking away when they want to be held ..when I'm weening I just drop a bottle, after a few weeks to a month I drop another bottle then when I'm ready to ween 100% I drop the last bottle. I leave water in dishes they can easily reach. Kids will naturally go for water.

A side note: Never dilute milk bottles

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Wash and rinse your buckets really well. What color are the buckets? Seriously! My goats will not drink from Black buckets. Blue, green or red are ok. Yellow, no way. Ok maybe mine are neurotic!
Fill small buckets with warm water when it is normally bottle feeding time. Gently push their noses to the warm water. At first they will rebell, but once they taste the warm water, they may start drinking it.

Also, do you feed warmed milk? You could try offering cold milk then dip the noses in the warmed water. Never feed them water in the bottle. Electralytes are ok in a bottle. (Warm or cool) .
Not crazy, mine like pink buckets!! Blue and green too!! They usually love their magenta one!!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
And when I weaned Destiny I was in quarentine. So my oldest daughter bought her an orange bucket- sae colour as her bottle. She went on her knees and pretended to drink. Within an gour Destiny drank from her orage bucket. Her food is in green feeding troughs. Gizmo prefers his blue water bowl and purple food bowl.
Both are bottle babies. Be patient.
They do make you feel real bad.

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
We have a white, a red and a green bucket out. I never watched to see who preferred what color but its funny when you wash and freshen their buckets they will sniff each one before choosing which they like lol.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Haha! I thought mine were crazy! I have a big black trough, and a little blue bucket, and a little green bucket. They will finish the little buckets first before they touch the 25-gallon trough! My buck has a yellow and green bucket of water and will always drink from the yellow before the green! How funny!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yay! Our goats will drink from any color except black, but I’m sure they would if they were dying of thirst.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts