The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the vet just did fecals the day before yesterday, our goats had absolutely NO worms because we just double dewormed them, but they did have cocci. We've been treating for cocci for 2 days, and all of a sudden tonight one of the doelings has a swollen under jaw! -like right under her mouth, not near the back of her jaw. It looks just like bottle jaw (a not very advanced case), but it can't be, can it? I mean, they had zero worms, and we're treating for cocci.! I read somewhere that they can get this from a large load of parasites being killed; is that true? It sure would put my mind at rest if it was.

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
check her lids.are they bright pink to red??? If you just wormed, had a fecal done and all is clear...could she have gotton stung?? I know we have a lot of wasp out...feel around..see if you can feel a spot more swollen..where a stinger might have gotten her...

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Cathy, I didn't even think of it being a bug bite of sting. We do have a lot of wasps around right now. What do you think I could put on it if it was a sting?

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
if its a sting just give her benedryl...that should help ;)..if the swelling is uncomfortable...youcanhold an ice pack on it for as long as shewill let you...take a short break then put it back on...

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
5 cc for kiddos and 15-20 cc for adults

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I'm sorry I freaked out for a minute. I just went out to check her again, and the swelling has almost gone away, and she's not touchy about it. And I checked her eyelids, they're kind of medium pink, I'd say. I've been checking them a lot anyway, because they were pretty pale when we stared the corid, and I am pretty sure they've started getting darker. Strange, that it wasn't there this morning, and now it seems to be going away again. Maybe it was a reaction to the corid working? A bug bite? I don't know, but I've been reading so much about worms, and cocci, and bottle jaw and everything, that I was worried there for a minute. :eek:

·
Registered
29,854 Posts
glad she is feeling better : )...its ok to freak out...we all do from time to time : )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts