My poor Bones!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Jul 29, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Took bones in to vet to be neutered today and asked him about his scurs that have come up, so while he had him under he took care of them also.......poor little guy got it at both ends! I am so sad for him :( , he isn't wanting to eat any hay, just talked to vet and he said he isn't surprised. He gave him a shot of banamine and said start with baby aspirin tomorrow. He told me to drench him with some water tonight if he doesn't drink on his own. Right now he just is laying or will just stand and look in a daze. Vet said there was quite bit of bleeding, so to leave heading dressing on for a few days.

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    poor guy!

did he use bands for castrating?

so he must have sawed off the scur and then burned? bet there was some bleeding! its good he gave you meds for pain.

:hug: (gree one is bones) :wink:

3. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Awww!! Poor little fellow! :tears: Hope he feels better soon1

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Poor thing!!! I never leave for any procedure my vet does.

At least they did give him a blue hat. :D

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    No bands......vet neutered him like a pup......had my first older guys done that way and I just prefer it. Murphy, my other new little guy came to me banded which worked out fine, but Bones was going to be kept by the breeder as a buck, but changed their minds and let me have him for a friend to Murphy.

He is up eating hay......haven't seen him drink so I drench him with some pedilyte (sp?) He did pee while I was out there.
    How long does banamine last, he got it approx at 10:00am......was wondering about giving him a baby aspirin tonight? I opened his inside pen and he did come out and wander around the barn with Murphy.

His scurs were bad and vet said if he ever knocked one off it could be bad, so it was best to go ahead and get rid of them now even though they still could come back...... but hope not!

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Awww...poor little guy. He looks so pitiful with that bandage on. Goats are tough though--I'm sure he'll be back to normal in a couple days.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Poor little guy, he'll be just fine in a day or 2, they are resilliant :wink:

:hug: to you as well, I know this had to hurt you too.

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Poor little dude. We have had to have the vet do dehorning on like 3 month old kids and they have had the same thing...it's pretty ugly. We had it done 3 times and after that I couldn't take it anymore and figured out how to disbud on my own...which is way easier on the kids then to have them put under and then saw it way down. I feel so bad for them...but I can see how you would need to get rid of the scurs that way. Hope he feels better.

9. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Quick healing thoughts sent Bones' way. :hug: :grouphug: for your fella.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Awww....poor Bones.. :( .....give him a little kiss and hug for me ...but be gentle...... :hug:

11. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Bones got his bandages off today and he is one happy little goat! His little head looks kinda gross and sore.....gave him a baby aspirin and sprayed his head with some wound spray. I think the re-dehorning was worse for him then the neuturing.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh I am sure the removal of the horns was worse -- poor fellow. glad to hear he is doing much better

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So happy.... he is doing better......now his head can get air ...and heal quicker.... :wink: :greengrin:

14. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    great to hear he's doing better!!! :cool: