The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this but it's okay. My poor goat was wrapped in panel wire. I really think someone did this, how would he wrap a wire ALL the way around his body? It was so tight around him too, and there's no wire they can get to. He could barely stand when I cut it off but I gave electrolytes and aspirin and he's doing okay now :)

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Oh no poor goatie boy...
I was just looking at the pile (its unrolled and all tangled up) of left over AG wire in the corner of our garden, and wondering about the likelyhood of our silly goats getting tangled - I do think its possible.... they could get startled and run into the pile when its dark/ dusk and get all wrapped up, I am finding that goats dont have alotta common sense when their instincts kick in.....
Hmmmm... (am packing to leave for work not much time here left....)....
Glad your Goatie is ok though....

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
If you have aspirin or Banamine it will help some, if he is in pain.

Poor guy, do you see any injuries, cuts ext? If you see cuts, puncture wounds, has he has a tetanus shot or CD&T recently?

I would give him Fortified vit B complex and probiotics, he may be stressed as well. Let him rest for the night and see how is in the morning. Keep an eye on him for a few days.

·
Super Moderator
59,892 Posts
Many people don't vaccinate. That really is a personal choice. I would not vaccinate until he feels better. The CDT vaccine takes about 2 weeks to be effective so it would give him no protection now. If you felt he needed tetanus, then you would give him the tetanus antitoxin.

·
Administrator
85,534 Posts
Yes, it is a good time to learn, if he doesn't have any cuts or puncture wounds, there is no need for tetanus or CD&T.
Each breeder can decide whether or not they want to vaccinate, however, remember though, if a goat needs antibiotics because of illness, we need to learn to give shots. It is hard at first, but, after a few times, we get better at it. Just remember, to always after inserting the needle, to draw back the syringe to check for blood in the syringe. If there is blood, remove syringe and reinsert in another area.

Fortified Vit B complex, I'd give him 6cc's SQ. But at minimum, he should get Probiotics for a few days. I give it in the armpit area, I tent the skin and insert needle, check where the end of the needle is and that it isn't going all the way thought the skin to squirt on the floor, LOL, I have done that several times when I first started. ;)

If you want to give aspirin, the dosage is here
http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f186/aspirin-dosage-goats-112236/

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Poor guy :( That looks mighty uncomfortable. I too agree that it looks like someone wrapped it around him :(

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Are you sure it is wire? Could it have been a tomato cage? I can see how that could have happened (at least with my goofy goats!). I am glad you found him in time to save him. I sure hope it wasn't some twisted human that did that:( Eta:I would do the tetanus antitoxin because it is likely there are puncture wounds that you can't see under his coat.

·
Super Moderator
32,154 Posts
WOW>.def. a person job!!! who would be so cruel. If he has not had cd &t I would give him tetanus antitoxin..just in case...B complex for stress..probios for tummy upset..Banamine for discomfort or reg. adult aspirin..just like Karen suggested..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.