The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor sweet little Rue! Monday morning I am out doing chores and I see Rue, my Nigerian dwarf doeling standing there..... First thing I notice is that her ears are swollen and hanging down. I scoop her up and take her out of the field (this are has 20 bottle babies, impossible to take a good look at a goat with everyone crowding you). I take a step back to examine her and see has many swollen welts along her belly and her tail was so swollen it was 3x it's normal size. Half of her "udder" was so swollen it looked like it was engorged with milk. Clearly an allergic reaction to some type of bug bite/sting. My poor girl looked miserable, but still had a good appetite. I get a weight on her and go to the goat med cabinet for some liquid Benadryl. Well crap. It's expired and I didn't realize how little I had left in the bottle! That is NOT like me, I always try to make sure we are fully stocked! Thankfully there was enough to give her a full dose. It seemed to be helping, but I was still worried about her.
Of course she started getting sleepy, which had me even more worried. Is it the meds or is she getting worse?! I ended up spending most of the day outside keeping an eye on her. I ended up picking up a few more bottles and gave her another dose. Thankfully the following morning she was back to her usual self.

So, just a reminder- check your goat cabinet and make sure you have some benadryl on hand :) I am now keeping a big bottle for the farm and one packed in my "show bag". With copperhead season ramping up I can't believe it slipped my mind.

Here's sweet Rue, a few hours after I gave her some meds. Swelling went down tremendously and her ears were starting to perk back up.

IMG_4398.JPG

·
Registered
431 Posts
That is very interesting. I never had a goat develop an allergic reaction to bug bites, but snake bites were always a fear. I kept Arnicare pills on hand for that, but I will have to get some Benadryl too.

She is a beautiful doe by the way, but I'm sure she already knows that!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We've had it happen once or twice over the years. About two years ago a Lamamcha doeling was stung on the nose and her face started to swell up. Last year we lost a very nice herdsire to a copperhead snake bite. Must've been bit right after evening feeding time, as he was dead the next morning with evidence of a snake bite. :(

Thank you! Her and close relative are my favorite Nigerian kids this year. They are only Jr kids but placed first and 2nd at their first show out.

·
Registered
431 Posts
We've had it happen once or twice over the years. About two years ago a Lamamcha doeling was stung on the nose and her face started to swell up. Last year we lost a very nice herdsire to a copperhead snake bite. Must've been bit right after evening feeding time, as he was dead the next morning with evidence of a snake bite. :(

Thank you! Her and close relative are my favorite Nigerian kids this year. They are only Jr kids but placed first and 2nd at their first show out.
Yes, I've had some with bee or wasp stings too. That is so sad! I'm sorry to hear that. It must have been heartbreaking!

I can see how! She looks like a very stylish young doe.

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
My poor sweet little Rue! Monday morning I am out doing chores and I see Rue, my Nigerian dwarf doeling standing there..... First thing I notice is that her ears are swollen and hanging down. I scoop her up and take her out of the field (this are has 20 bottle babies, impossible to take a good look at a goat with everyone crowding you). I take a step back to examine her and see has many swollen welts along her belly and her tail was so swollen it was 3x it's normal size. Half of her "udder" was so swollen it looked like it was engorged with milk. Clearly an allergic reaction to some type of bug bite/sting. My poor girl looked miserable, but still had a good appetite. I get a weight on her and go to the goat med cabinet for some liquid Benadryl. Well crap. It's expired and I didn't realize how little I had left in the bottle! That is NOT like me, I always try to make sure we are fully stocked! Thankfully there was enough to give her a full dose. It seemed to be helping, but I was still worried about her.
Of course she started getting sleepy, which had me even more worried. Is it the meds or is she getting worse?! I ended up spending most of the day outside keeping an eye on her. I ended up picking up a few more bottles and gave her another dose. Thankfully the following morning she was back to her usual self.

So, just a reminder- check your goat cabinet and make sure you have some benadryl on hand :) I am now keeping a big bottle for the farm and one packed in my "show bag". With copperhead season ramping up I can't believe it slipped my mind.

Here's sweet Rue, a few hours after I gave her some meds. Swelling went down tremendously and her ears were starting to perk back up.

View attachment 162947
Poor lil nugget! And poor mamas!

·
Registered
29,935 Posts
Poor baby..glad she's on the mend.

Reactions: Goat Whisperer

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all. She really had me worried. I should’ve taken a pic when she was at her worst, it was horrible!

So now I have 16oz of Benadryl on hand! I still can’t believe how swollen her ears were. They were hanging down like a Nubian’s ear.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
How scary! Happy she is doing better.
Kinda on a side note but not, add vitamin C to your kit for those copper heads. I’ll have to remember where I saw the info on Facebook but vitamin C does something to the venom of copper heads and rattle snakes and can help save a life. One lady her dog has been bit by a rattle snake two times in two years and she shoved Benadryl and vitamin C down the dog and by the time she made the 2 hour trip to the vet it was perfectly fine. I’ll have to think where I saw that dang post

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is nice. Just scoop them up, for they are brain washed to believe we are good, and come to us.
Well, I do raise them with a gentle hand, feed and water them, keep them sheltered from the elements and protected from predators, so I would say we ARE good :)

As far as the goat med cabinet, pretty much everything you can get your hands on, and the one thing you need is the thing you wont have (rofl)

@Morning Star Farm & @Jessica84 I'll have to pickup some vit. C! Haven't heard about that <regarding snake bite/toxicity>. Thanks for the reminder! What MG tabs to you give? Anything special?

Thanks all, she had me worried!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well, I do raise them with a gentle hand, feed and water them, keep them sheltered from the elements and protected from predators, so I would say we ARE good :)

As far as the goat med cabinet, pretty much everything you can get your hands on, and the one thing you need is the thing you wont have (rofl)

@Morning Star Farm & @Jessica84 I'll have to pickup some vit. C! Haven't heard about that <regarding snake bite/toxicity>. Thanks for the reminder! What MG tabs to you give? Anything special?

Thanks all, she had me worried!
http://www.goatworld.com/store/

I get my Vitamin C by the pound here! It's much cheaper than the little bottles in the store. If I do get it from a health food store though, I always get the powder because the pills are harder to deal with. You have to crush them up anyway and they're more difficult for the goat to digest because they're so processed.

·
Registered
5,935 Posts
I use the 500 mg chewables from GNC or two chewable gummies for vitamin c the goats think they're treats. If you're in a pinch these seem to work just fine. I also give them during weather changes in spring and fall just as an immune booster.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts