My Precious Penny is Now Gone!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by goatheaven, Mar 21, 2008.

1. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Today is an extremely hard day! I lost Penny, our 12 year old basset hound today! She lost her battle with cancer. I rescued her and her sister when they were puppies. Their mother was a registered basset and the owner did not want these pups so we two of them. They were inseparable until Lucy's death a couple of years ago. Penny had been fighting cancer and a tumor finally ruptured ans started to rot. It couldn't be operated on because of the location. I had to make the decision this morning to let her go. I feel so guilty. I wanted her to just pass in her sleep. I hope now she is pain free and reunited with her sister this morning.

Here is her dogster page with her pics and information.

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/598953

I already miss her so much!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so sorry you lost your friend, you made one of the hardest decisions a pet owner could ever make! Penny is running/waddling thru the meadows with Lucy and will wait til they see you again. :hug:

3. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'm so sorry.That is the part about being a vet I dread.She was beautiful and you gave her a good life.

4. goatheaven

goatheaven New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone! I know she is better off but it is still so hard. She's been with me her whole 12 years of life. It's hard not seeing her and looking at her empty house and bowl. Your whole routine changes as well. Thanks for the good thoughts!

5. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The worst part of this situation is trying to do the right thing at the right time- not to allow unnecessary suffering but allow a good life as long as possible. It is stressful.
    I'm sorry you had to go through this but I know your Penny would thank you if she could for your loving care.
    Sometime, if you are like me, you will be able to remember the great times you had with her and the wonderful, touching things she did without feeling so bad- it's like they are there again to give joy. There is always a sense of loss but also of love that will never leave you. That is the gift they leave with you.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm so sorry for your loss, she had a good life and I'm sure she was a great dog :hug:

7. lacy_94

lacy_94 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    North Fla
    you gave her a really great job. im so sorry.