My project part one

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by keren, Nov 4, 2010.

1. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    So we had our first real day of working with the university goat herd yesterday. A friend of mine who is interested came and helped me. So by memory we have: ten togg kids - four doe kids and six buck kids who are now wethers. All are polled except two of the doe kids. Just our luck lol. Three polled adult togg does, one polled adult togg cross doe. One polled saanen doe. One disbudded nubian doe. Then three wethers - a boer, a nubian and a togg. Eighteen all together - does that equal eighteen?? Lol twas a big afternoon, we did all their feet, drenched, backlined, vaccinated and castrated. Next on the list is individual id, testing and dehorning. I'm excited about one of the doe kids in particular, she is four weeks old and has a wonderful little udder about the size of a tennis ball - and she has lovely togg breed character.

2. ChestnutGrove

ChestnutGrove New Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Tennessee
    Sounds exciting! Very nice about all the polled goats - figures two of the horned kids are doelings - that is the way it goes isn't it! Sounds like you got a lot done! Looking forward to when you can share pictures!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds exciting Keren -- cant wait to keep hearing more about this new adventure. Im so happy for you

4. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    Sounds like a lot to accomplish! Glad you had a friend to help with it all.

Very exciting :)

5. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Sounds so cool! Just keep in mind that breeding polled to polled can result in hermaphradite kids. Other than that good luck! :thumb:

6. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I know ;) and i'm not planning on breeding polled to polled.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    actually I would like more research done on this so maybe you could do that with this herd a little?

I am not sure that polledXpolled breeding really is that bad. Im hearing more of arguments against but still no concrete evidence either way. And yes I did say EITHER WAY.

8. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Stacey I don't have any papers, but I have some anecdotal info for you. My dairy goat mentor had a commercial goat dairy as well as show stock in america for many years, he bred polled to polled and never had issues. Now in australia, people tell me they have had issues, and talking to an old australian breeder, it depends largely on the bloodlines. Some are able to breed polled to polled without intersex kids. But apparently we don't have those lines in australia anymore