The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next monday will be my quit date and the only reason i'm waiting til then is my husband is out of town this week and i stress more when he's gone. I'm 41 years old and i've smoked since i was 14 so thats 27 years. I can't breathe, my chest hurts and i cough all the time, not to mention it is killing me. I"m embarrassed that I smoke and want to quit so bad. I could use some support come next monday when i quit. All prayers would be appreciated.

·
1,983 Posts
Are you quitting cold turkey? I tried Chantix and just cried and cried all the time so I had to stop. So now I'm smoking again. I understand the stress, plus the fact DH smokes, but I'm ready too. So I'll quit with you if you want a quitting smoking buddy.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
:stars:

You can do it!!:cool:

I too am 41 and smoked since I was 12. I quit a year ago last December.It is the hardest thing I have EVER done, and I still miss it ....BUT...

It is possible....just take it second by second....and keep distracting yourself. I used to spend 300.00 a month smoking, now I use that money for keeping goats.:D

I know how hard it is....but you can do it!! :)

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Herdqueen I would love a buddy thank you. I'm going to get the vapor electronic cigs and i think the patch to help me transition. I can't just quit with no aides i'm too weak. But i think i can do it with those two.
My goat mom..what did you use to help you do it?
Woodhaven, thank you so much..

·
1,983 Posts
Christy I have a V2 cig. I recommend it. If you smoke lights get the mediums they seem to run on the light side. The cig flavored cartridges are good when you start but then you are going to want something flavored(in my experience). The vanilla and coffee flavored are my favorites. The company stands behind their product if your battery should fail or if you get a mis-ship on cartritidges.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Well, I used Chantix but it caused some depression and serious mood swings....i honestly don't recommend it.I think that drug is dangerous. I think your idea is good. You just have to stick to it, no matter how bad you want a smoke. If you try to make yourself wait 10-15 minutes the serious part of the craving goes away....until the next craving hits.

I think the first month was torture for me but after that it became easier.It's more about lifestyle change than a cigarette....IMO. I got bored not smoking, and I still sometimes do. I have to constantly distract myself when I get bored so I don't think about it.It was "what I did" for myself for a "break"...especially at work.That is something you have to find a way to deal with and "reward" yourself in a different way.You have to do this for YOU. Not anyone else.It doesn't work....you have to grab every bit of willpower you can muster AND reach out for support, cause you will need it.

I have to tell you, I was so addicted, I would go out in a blizzard for smokes....and have. I would NEVER run out. I would panic when I had only one left and have to immediately get more.

I can tell you since quitting, I can think more clearly. I did not have a lot of coughing or illness so I don't necessarily feel better, but I know it is better for me and my kids were very happy I quit.

I feel good that I can afford my goats, and when I think about starting up(like on a stressful day) I look at them and say....nope...not gonna do it.

You can do this....it just takes determination :) Don't let the tobacco win....

·
Member with a bahhh
2,472 Posts
Good luck. I'm 100% behind you. My mom smoked for 20 years but she has been smoke free for seven now. I know its hard but you can do it.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I quit about six years ago and it was the hardest thing I have ever done. I did it with the patch and sheer will power. I had tried many times before and failed but I made up my mind no matter what I am gonna make it and I did.. Everytime I got a craving I kept saying to myself you can do this you can do this then I would find something to do with my hands. Believe me it was well worth it. I feel so much better now and I had smoked a good fifty years. I still get the urge once in a while and I just tell myself it will go away and I move on.. Good luck to you and I will be cheering you on...Keep in mind also all the xtra money you will have to do something else with.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I am in almost the same boat and reasons. I'm 45 but didn't smoke until my mid 20's and had periods of time where I didn't. I tried the chantix once but it made me VERY ill. Then I thought ok ill or not I'd try it again, except this time I didn't have insurance. I tried the gum didn't quite work for me. When I used the patch for a few weeks, and supplemented with the lozenges( although I went through alot! for about 3 weeks) that was what worked for me. My date is next Wed. after being around everyone who smokes on the weekend this up coming. Problem for me is husband smokes and chews! We can be buddies, you can even send me a text if you want. ;)

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
wow..Im so proud of all you who are quitting...it is harder to quite smoking then to get off most street drugs..so kudos..make sure you save at least half of what you would pay out for cigs in a jar and throw a "I quit Smoking party" or go shopping or better yet..treat yourself to a spa...I quit each time I got pregnant and did my final quit at baby number three...we now have eight kids lol..so 25+ years ago....Your body will thank you!! your lungs will scream for joy...mountain will no longer be a challenge...once you quit smoking you can conquer anything!!! go go go ....:cool:

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Both my parents quit after about 35 years and my father in law too. I am not speaking from personal experience but from theirs. They all said the most important thing for them was to have something to put in their mouths when a craving hit. Go sugar free if possible so the calories don't get ya! Merle used peppermints, Mom liked gum. Dad used beer, but I wouldn't recommend that LOL. Mom just about wrung his neck and he gained a bunch of weight, not to mention the damage to his body. But, he is still not smoking so....:D oops, forgot to say congratulations on this great decision! I'll be praying for you!

·
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let me just say WOW to so many of you that have quit my hats off to you. I was so worried about fessing up i smoke. I don't smoke in my house and i don't smoke out in public i always hid and smoked cause it embarrasses me yet i still managed to smoke two packs a day. I wasn't sure about telling you guys i smoke but i'm glad i did, i think it will help having so much support just please don't leave me come monday lol..
Clearwtr..we all can quit together..my husband smokes too but i've informed him he has to quit with me lol..
Bleats..i love the idea of the jar putting money in it..i love money lol..so that will help motivate me..I will tell hubby at the end of each week I get my half to buy something for me. Heck that alone will make me quit lol.
ON a serious note..this sounds silly but it scares me not to smoke..i know that makes no sense but i've smoked my whole adult and pretty much teen life. I know i can do this I jsut don't know how i'm going to do it without losing it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I'm happy for you, and proud, too! This is definately going to be difficult, but you can do it! I started smoking when I was 12. My friend and I would sneak her parents' half smoked butts and occasionally a new one if the pack was full until we were caught. I started smoking permanantly when I turned 17. I guit the moment I found out with each of my 3 pregnancies until I was done nursing (about 6-12 weeks) but I'd start right back up. Chronic bronchitis and strep throat didn't help the asthma and mitral valve prolapse I had. I am proud to say that I have not taken a single puff off of a cigarette since my last cigarette over 6 years ago. It has been tough.

A word of advice: Buy lots of packs of your favorite chewing gum. I started snacking. What a HUGE mistake!! Whatever you do, don't turn to snacking. I gained 20 pounds in 3 months. You'll want to keep your hands busy to help keep the hand to mouth habit at bay. I was a chain smoker. When I quit cold turkey, I was four cigarettes shy of two packs of menthols a day. YIKES!! When I felt the urge was too much to bear, I would go outside and clasp my hands together and stretch them out in front of me and then over my head while taking the deepest breaths I could. To further keep my mind off of smoking (I was a stay at home mom) I would deep clean my house, each and every room, floor to ceiling. But only worked on one room a day. I also took naps with my two youngest kids. But be careful doing that, I had a couple of frightening experiences when I did that. I'll have to make a new thread to tell you that one.

When you feel hopeless, like it's just too hard, remind yourself how much your health will improve, how much money you'll save, no more smoker's breath, and no more stinky clothes, car, and house (if you smoke in your house and car), and over all how much better you will feel about yourself and your great accomplishment! You will not only improve your health but all others around you. Best wishes!

·
I'm not addicted - I'm in love!
5,018 Posts
:cool: You can do it! My dad, who is very wise, says that anyone can break a habit, it's just a matter of wanting to badly enough.
I read something the other day that was very interesting. Advice to a woman who was overweight and couldn't throw her candy-eating habit: "Instead of looking at a box of candy and saying 'I won't eat that' which only makes you think more about it, try this. Paint a picture in your mind of the lovely slender person you want to be, and keep that in front of you all the time, especially when you are tempted." She tried it and it worked! Within a few years she was a lovely slender person.
The point is that setting a positive goal (i.e., the free, healthy person you want to be, the nice fresh-smelling environment you want to have), and keeping that in mind, is much more effective than a negative goal (giving something up).
Prayers for you!

·
Adopted by Goats
1,354 Posts
Prayers for all of you who are trying to quit. I had my first and last at age 5. Brother got in a lot of trouble for that too.

It is really more unhealthy then you can imagine. Got a neighbor, 84, who still smokes. I stink every time I go over there. He can barely breath and coughs all the time. He has so many medical problems all of which are related to smoking, including kidney cancer. He now only has 1 kidney. According to his doctors, he would not have gotten this cancer if he had not been a smoker. Normally this cancer shows up in the bladder so he is at risk for it appearing there too.

I pray victory for all who are trying to quit and young people--never start. It just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Let me just say WOW to so many of you that have quit my hats off to you. I was so worried about fessing up i smoke. I don't smoke in my house and i don't smoke out in public i always hid and smoked cause it embarrasses me yet i still managed to smoke two packs a day. I wasn't sure about telling you guys i smoke but i'm glad i did, i think it will help having so much support just please don't leave me come monday lol..
Clearwtr..we all can quit together..my husband smokes too but i've informed him he has to quit with me lol..
Bleats..i love the idea of the jar putting money in it..i love money lol..so that will help motivate me..I will tell hubby at the end of each week I get my half to buy something for me. Heck that alone will make me quit lol.
ON a serious note..this sounds silly but it scares me not to smoke..i know that makes no sense but i've smoked my whole adult and pretty much teen life. I know i can do this I jsut don't know how i'm going to do it without losing it.
I can agree, with being embarrassed not smoking in the house or cars. I only smoke 3/4 -1pk a day, but it stinks it's expensive, I can see myself like my grandmother on oxygen :( My hubby may or may not quit, he'll still chew- eww. I did the money thing on one quit and went shopping. I had a good friend close to me who when we first started walking we were almost dying! Then by the end of the 3 mos we walked 6 miles 3 times a week! But, then I moved away and don't have that support anymore. Then stress happens and it's the first thing I grab for. If you want you can pm me and we can switch numbers and send encouragement texts. :p

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
Scared? Yeah, I get it. I was PETRIFIED to stop smoking. I didn't know myself as a non smoker. Who would I even be? I couldn't remember not smoking, i mean I was 12!!.....I smoked with coffee, on break,with friends, alone, during all 4 pregnancies,after meals,before meals, in the car, after the dinner dishes were done,before bed, you name it....I smoked mowing the lawn with a push mower!!

Oh yeah, I get it. And I'm still learning me without them.....and ya know what? It's not scary anymore....it's just different.

You put your mind to this, and you can do it.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Christy , you will come out theotherend of this journey a better person.
Do it for yourself and reward yourself for each day you are smoke free.
Break down the money and add that to the jar daily so this gives yoy something to look forward to each day instead of at the end of the week.
I haven't smoked , but I do know people who did and have quit.
Don't fret about the weight people gain because your body has to regulate itself which means your going to gain regardless of how you try not to. But then , you will notice your weight level out and remain at a certain number. This is probably where you supposed to be.
You have to accept this or you will get yourself sick about it....
We will never be the slender person we were in our teens or twenties.
Our bodies change with age wether we like it or not , lolol.
You will beat the addiction and be a happy , healthy person in the end !
Just don't be too hard on yourself is what I'm trying to say to you.
Please don't feel bad if you slip up either. You have the will to try again , that's all you need so don't worry about how many attempts it takes , you WILL succeed !! Get yourself something to do with your hands like a crochet set or something ,that's a must. Train your self how to do it before you quit , so you don't get frustrated learning.
Then you have something to do with your hands immediately when you are craving. I know a friend who kept a backscratcher handy and whenever he felt the craving , he gave himself a good backscratcher , lolol. And another friend got her self a bonsai tree and she used to trim the crud out of it and after a month or so it looked like a toothpick but she and the tree survived , lolol.

Good luck and take it easy on yourself . Take a good deep breathe every time you crave and you will remind yourself why you don't want that smoke in your lungs.
We luv ya here and we are all rootin for ya :)

1 - 20 of 162 Posts