My quitting smoking thread!!

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by JaLyn, Feb 11, 2013.

1. mjgh06

mjgh06 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I'm right there with you. I've smoked since age 15 ..wow 26 years ago and I smoke at least a pack a day. When out if I am unable to go get any I search through the butts for just one more puff. It really is an addiction and a very strong one. I've wanted to quit for a long time, but it is a major stress reliever for me. I smoke first thing when i get up, every time I get in the car, before eating or cooking, after eating. I tried quitting before and it's hard for me because I can't chew gum (I'm allergic to the pheno in all gum) so I ate alot and gained alot of weight which to me was worse than the smoking so I started back again so I could lose the weight. Keeping busy doesn't help me because that's when I want to smoke more - it's the "Gosh I need to take a break - smoke" thing.

But if you are determined I know you can do it! Don't be weak like me, stay strong! There's been a lot of good suggestions here to help you and when you really want to smoke come on here and start a rant, we'll listen and be there for you. Also try to find a local support group, I think that is very important. Hopefully your husband will want to quit with you. That has always been my biggest problem. Even when I try to quit, everyone around me still smokes. I can say it will be the hardest thing you've ever had to do, but in the end it will also be one of your BIggest accomplishments. Good Luck and God Bless!

2. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Me again :D. Good luck to all of you who will be on this journey
    with Christy. We are all behind you and we're are here for talking , a needed hug and well , venting , there will be lots of venting , lol.
    Dont hesitate to PM me or I'm sure anybody else here :)
    If you fall , you right back up and into the saddle again , right ?
    YOU ARE STRONGER THEN THEY ARE , REMEMBER THAT !
    You have friends here that luv ya and fully support you !
    And of course your goaties , who else will take care of those beloved goaties better the you ?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That is so good to hear, takes will power, a hobbie to spend the time, and support from friends and family.
    Good luck to all and we are rooting for you, I have faith in all of you. :cool:

4. serenityfarmnm

serenityfarmnm Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!

Jan 6, 2013
    Caballo, NM
  5. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    It so helps hearing everyones stories and struggles, it's nice knowing im not alone..thank you all so much and come monday remember you said i can vent lol..love this place..

6. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I quit smoking several times. The final time was 11 years ago. Every time I tried using a nicotine aide it didn't work. I started smoking those "no nicotine herbal" cigarettes called Beadies or something like that. I was able to use a two pronged approach to quitting. The first attack was breaking the bodies nicotine addiction, the second one was the emotional "holding the cigarette" addiction. I smoked those fake cigarettes for 2 weeks and then quit those.

I cried for about 3 days straight. I still sometimes crave cigarettes (usually with my morning coffee) and only the last few years do I not smoke in my dreams. Strangly, last night I had a dream and I was smoking. lol

It's hard, quitting is never easy (unless maybe you're in a coma!). But it will be the best thing you could do for yourself, your health, and those around you. You CAN do it.

7. GTAllen

GTAllen Goat Feeder

Jul 22, 2012
    Walters, Oklahoma
    I quit on Jan 10th, 2010 after 26 years of tobacco use. Good luck. YOU WILL do it!

8. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    Funny you mentioned coma ,lol
    My Mom suffered a brain aneurysm and wasnt supposed to survive
    it. She beat the odds against her and is here to talk about it today.
    She was a smoker , pack a day at least. She stopped cold turkey
    when she was in the hospital , had no choice , lol. She doesnt remember any of the withdrawals but does get cravings now and again.
    She knows she better not pick up another or i will do her in , lol
    I saved her life when she had the aneurysm burst and she has two others that are inoperable so she has a tube running from her head down to her belly to drain any excess fluids that build up.
    Smoke can clog this tube and she will die , she knows this.
    If that doesnt get her I will if she starts again , lol That she is most afraid of , lol All kidding aside , she tells me the cravings are strong sometimes , even now after years and years , but she overcomes them.

You will do it kiddo , one minute , hour , day , week at a time :)

9. serenityfarmnm

serenityfarmnm Newbie, Head over Heels in Love!

Jan 6, 2013
    Caballo, NM
    I also made my husband to SWEAR he would leave me if I ever picked up another cig!!

10. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    Laura i'm sorry about your mom. My dad has early stages of emphysema, i love him more than words can express and i hope if he sees me quit he will too..we always said if one quit the other had to....my husband would quit too if i did just cause he'd support me that much, he's nicer than me lol..i'm glad i'm not quitting today though..i'm crampin and ready to kill someone lol..i've been searching e-cigs..so hopefully i find one that i think i will like to help me do this..teh biggest thing is i'm ready..i smoke two packs a day but i hate every one i smoke..it makes me so mad that i smoke it's crazy. I know i can do this...but i know i can't do it alone so i'm thankful to have so many around to talk me out of picking one up when i know i will want to. I quit years ago for my 3rd pregnancy that was during the time they discovered smoking was bad for the baby (u think we would of figured that out sooner lol) and i know that during those few months i thought i'd die so i know the frustration that will come iwth this but i also know that if i ahve someone to talk to when i'm feeling this way that will help..this week-end when we are in eville i will buy all i need to quit. I'm ready..LETS DO THIS!!

11. honeymeadows

honeymeadows Honey Meadows Farm

Nov 20, 2012
    New Jersey
    Looking over the previous posts, you've got people all over the entire country rooting for you!!! What a support team!
    Stay strong, good luck, and keep us all posted!

12. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I must say kudos to all of you for quitting! My grandfather smoked for 60 years of his life and went through it all. Three heart attacks, triple by-pass surgery, blood clots and eventually a stroke and stage 4 cancer in his brain, lungs and liver all because of an addiction started by his older brothers when he was 10. He "tried" to quit after his heart attacks, but if you try to quit, you have to want to and well, he didn't want to.

But I am proud of each and every one of you for being so strong!

13. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    honeymeadows to be honest i'm shocked at the response, i was hesitant to post for fear of being ridiculed and told how could i do somehting so disgusting. I'm almost overwhelmed by the care i have received on this thread and i can honestly say it makes me want to work even harder to make everyone proud of me..i know that sounds corny but ask my kids i'm way corny lol..
    Tara I am so sorry about your grandpa and so many others that have lost someone due to smoking, I too lost my grandma due to emphysema and cancer. I don't want my kids to be sitting here telling my story and how they lost me. My parents both smoke and because of me i have two kids that smoke and i am disgusted at myself but i know if i quit they will, my daughter is already down to 2 cigarettes a day and my son is smoking half what he was..and i hope if me and my husband can do this so will my parents. I talked to my mom today and i think she may try to quit too.

14. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

:hug: If we ridiculed you we would be making fools of ourselves, because ALL of us have problems. It takes backbone to admit it and fight them! Do not give up!

15. Arkie

Arkie Junior Member

Sep 25, 2012
    North Central AR
    Christy, Thanksgiving made me 8 years quit. STILL crave a good Dutch Masters Panatella ceeeegar occasionally, but know I'd be at a store counter buying a pack of smokes before I got it fully finished. :( Do feel lucky that I can be around the Wife, employees, gen. pop smoking without setting me of either as one of those I-CAN'T-STAND-TO-BE-AROUND-SMOKE types,or mad urges to start back types.

I managed to quit with the drug "Welbutrin"(sp). Doesn't make you not want to smoke so much as not give a [email protected] if you're smoking or not. :eek:
    Problem is, while using it you don't much give a d--- about anything else either! Used the drug about a month before laying down the smokes, and about 3 months after, then the drug was easy to quit also. In the first couple years I put on about 20 excess pounds, worked that down by 15 a couple years ago, but it's snuck back.:rolleyes:

It ain't easy, and I don't think you ever totally quit craving,(I "quit" twice before that for 6months at a time) but it does get easier as time goes on.

Good Luck!!

Bob

16. JaLyn

JaLyn Senior Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Indiana
    Milkmaid and ARkie thank you..I'm shocked at so many that smoked and quit..proud of you all but had no idea so many of you smoked and kicked it..that tells me more and more that us on here can..

17. Crystal

Crystal Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Arizona
    I have really been thinking about it also. It's hard but you can do it. My friend starts chemo tomorrow. She quit 9 years ago. She is 61. They just removed the upper half of her lung a month ago. I had another friend die a couple years ago. He smoked non filters 2-3 packs a day. My sister & brother n law are using the vapor cigs for over a month now. That is what I am going to switch to. Good luck & don't give up even if you slip my prayers are with you.

18. WalshKidsGoats

WalshKidsGoats Junior Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Yerington, Nevada
    Good for you!!! As people may have noted before, diet can be a huge help in the quitting smoking process. I would recommend The Primal Diet, hope this helps!

19. Trickyroo

Trickyroo New Member

Sep 26, 2012
    New York
    :fireworks: GO CHRISTY , GO CHRISTY :fireworks:
    YOUR READY , YOUR GONNA DO IT :stars::stars:
    :hug: WE ARE HERE FOR YOU :D:D:D

AND FOR EVERYBODY ELSE

:fireworks:GO FOR IT :fireworks:
    YOUR STRONGER , YOUR GONNA DO IT :stars::stars:
    :hug:AND WE ARE HERE FOR YOU :D:D:D

EVERYBODY HERE ROCKS :thumb:

20. JenVise

JenVise Jen

Dec 7, 2012
    Kentucky
    OK, neighbor...You talked me into it! Guess I'll quit too!! ;)
    I'm like you, mad at myself for doing it...and ashamed and embarrassed as well. I am a nurse...I KNOW BETTER. I see what it does to your body. However, I adjust my patients oxygen level and tubing then head right out to the break room to light one up! Who does that?!?!?!?
    Here's a story for you...I am charge nurse...On friday Jan 25th I sent one of my coworkers home from work with virus-like symptoms. On Saturday she was admitted to the hospital. They did multiple tests and found that she has cancer on her liver, adrenal glands, lungs, spine, and brain. Yesterday she was admitted to Hospice and they gave her 2 months to live. We are all having such a hard time with this. She is a dear friend, and has been a loyal employee at our company for 28 years...she was also a smoker. I don't know if smoking contributed to her "very rapid" spreading cancer, but every time I light one up I think of Linda....
    It's time to put this nasty habit aside and give myself, my husband, and my children the future that we all deserve!
    Thanks for this thread JaLyn! I think we can ALL do this!!!