The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Moccasin Creek Ranch
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still in the research phase of building a goat herd (probably Boer or Boer/Kiko cross) and want to have everything in place before I bring home any animals.

From everything I have read it seems that people who keep goats always live at the location where the goats are kept. I have read about "bedding down the goats at a location close to a residence". I live about 15 minutes away from my land and although the landowner next door does live there, it still isn't real close to where the goats will be kept. - plus I barely know him as they are only there in the evenings and weekends.

I am at the farm everyday already anyway because that is where my office is. I live in Northeast Texas with mild winters, scorching summers and only moderate predator problem (Coyote, Bobcats, Wild Hogs and rarely a cougar).

With proper fencing to keep the goats in and predators out, is it a problem that no body will be on the property during the night. I can obviously stay during kidding or any other special time and I can sleep in the office when necessary. So is this a problem??

thanks
Bill :confused:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I haven't lived on the land my goats are on for the 5 years that I've had them. Thankfully nothing has happened. I'm in Houston, no real predator problems. But yes proper fencing is good and maybe a dog and I think they'll be fine :)

·
Moccasin Creek Ranch
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking more about a Donkey as an LGA...

And I was planning on putting up field fence with a strand of electric wire on the inside and one on the outside for the predators.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts