My rooster crowed!

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Epona142, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Well...more of a sickly half crow. But a crow!

I raised this roo from a teeny little chick who hatched in March, and he never would crow. I figured I just had a dysfunctional rooster, though people reassured me some just take longer to get going. While, of course, theirs were crowing at 6 weeks!

So I was outside, and heard this HORRIBLE noise from the pens! I was like, "Oh my god, who's dieing??" and ran over to go see and...

He's crowing! Well he'd make it about half way through and sort of peter off...but I was so pleased.

And yes, I am crazy! :greengrin:

Here he is (His name is Dinner...cause we originally weren't going to keep him, but the other roo died so he lucked out!) with his favorite girl. He's a Rhode Island Red, she is a Barred Rock.

2. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    he is very handsome, we had some chicks hatch out too this spring no crowing yet gosh they got to be about 3 - 4 months old guess no roosters for me in that batch, I was worried I would get all roosters

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'm not much of a chicken person, but I did have a rooster once! It took him F...O...R...E...V...E...R to crow, but he finally did one day and wouldn't stop! I ended up not really liking him cause he would attack your leg and it scared me pretty good :roll: :slapfloor: Anywho, the neighbors dog ate him! I didn't really feel to bad, he deserved it! He probably tried attacking the dog before it ate him :roll:
  4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I had a rooster when I was young that was mean like that!

We ate him. :wink:

This one is very well behaved, thank goodness. He grumbles and growls at me if I catch one of his girls, but he knows I'm boss here!

I just love chickens. :love: