My "shame" updated..with progress pics

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by liz, Jun 10, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My pride and joy...Hank, has gone from being a gorgeous black pygmy to a red, sparse coated boy in the last year...he had a very rough winter with Teddy being a royal PITA towards him, beating him down and being very aggressive, Teddy was wethered and this winter Teddy and Angel will be together as she has become aggressive with the other girls.
    I have changed minerals due to the obvious copper deficiency that started showing last year, my bucks were not part of the copper sulfate drench disaster and since it is warm out now my plan is to completely shave him down, give him a good scrubbing and see how his hair grows in, I have noticed some new growth at this point that is as black as he used to be so I am extremely hopeful that it continues. I do my own fecals and my boys are checked as often as every month to 6 weeks so there are no internal parasite issues, there is also no evidence of external bugs either.
    Please pray that my Hank recovers his beauty as I am doing all I know to do at this point and cannot risk more copper than what he is already getting with grain and minerals due to the fatality and near fatalities I've already suffered... I love my goats and will do all I can for their health.
    This is how my boy looks now
    [attachment=1:2jfwhgax]001.JPG[/attachment:2jfwhgax]
    And what he looked like a year ago
    [attachment=0:2jfwhgax]P1000290.JPG[/attachment:2jfwhgax]

Attached Files:

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: My "shame"

good luck!
    I have a buck, odin who had a rough winter too. i'm working on getting weight back on him and the coat needs some work :shocked:

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Thank you Katrina... I am hoping to get Hank his pride back.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

What about BoSe? Have you tried Sunshine Plus pellets? They have a lot of copper in them :)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I'd like to get the sunshine plus but right now I have him on calf manna and 18% goat feed as well as the manna pro goat mineral...this guy is absolutely loving the browse they have with their new pasture so I hope to get him back to himself soon.

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

I used the manna pro for a while, but it has low copper levels compared to the sunshine plus. I didn't like how the goats were doing on it and the price was the same as sunshine so i switched back. Hope his coat improves for you. :)

7. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV

If you didn't shave him last year, and he has a year's worth of hair growth, could some of the 'red' be caused by sun bleaching? I'm sure not all of it is, but part??

8. Goober

Goober New Member

Aug 21, 2009

Something I thought of with the color, since he is a buck - could part of the problem be urine? I ask, because when I have housed male rabbits next to each other, they spray each other and it bleaches their coats into nastiness. Does this happen with goats as well?

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

The urine does bleach them out...in places I'd expect though like the front legs and around the belly brisket...Hank is totally orange along his spine and sides and he has a definate bald tail tip. I thought of sun bleaching too but I don't think it would show to this extent...especially since he was glossy black a year ago and now is orange and black. I'm going to get the Sunshine pellets and use the calf manna for my girls and hope it does him some good.

10. silvergramma

silvergramma New Member

Nov 9, 2009

this may not be something you could do with a goat but I had a black and white horse a no fade paint that would get burnt from being out in the sun,, tail would have streaks of red in it.. I was told spray and spritz with apple cider vinegar and it would prevent or make the red go away.. it worked,, I only have three solid black goats and so far none of them have reddened any but then again they are short coated Nigerians,, I had them on pellets calf manna and purina goat mineral..
    one of my purchases this early spring had some frost bite hair loss and he recovered nicely on his legs.. still waiting to see if the rest of his coat comes back...
    I think they were on some kind of generic feed..

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I shaved Hank down to the skin yesterday...besides having so many wrinkles and not seeing any lice, which I knew he did not have, I can see some new growth of black hair that was under all the long stuff...he has some very dirty crusty looking skin...puts me in mind of Sebborhea( cradle cap), after he was shaved I took a wash cloth, warmish water and an antibacterial surgical scrub and got him scrubbed the best I could...he wasn't too happy and I didn't want to stress him further, so while he was still damp, I used what was left of my Bag Balm and rubbed and worked it into his skin, sometime today, I'll get him up on the stand again and try to get some of the nasty stuff off of him, I feel like a bad goat mom, he likely wouldn't have all this mess if I was to scrub him more than just once in awhile.
    I know he is copper deficient, the bald tail tip and the orange in his hair says so but the change in minerals I think has helped because the new hair growth is totally black, if the deficiency wasn't corrected, wouldn't the new hair be coming in red/brown?

12. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Poor Hank.......don't feel bad......my boys had mites and I didn't even realize it for a while! Talk about a bad momma!

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Well....I have a very PO'd Hank!!! I was able to get him haltered and secured to the fence today and got a bristled brush and the garden hose and scrubbed him the best I could, he was not a happy boy at all...the scaliness seems to have been easier to get off in some areas and was pretty stubborn in others. After the scrubbing, I literally took a large bottle of aloe vera lotion and lathered him with it, left it on for 10 minutes, wormed him and then rinsed him. He has a good bit of peach fuzz coming in and it is black not orange so I'm pleased with that.

14. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio

What is the sunshine plus and where could I find it, TSC,or a feed store?

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

It's made by Blue Seal and TSC does carry it, check and see if they do, if not they can order it for you.

16. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio

Ok, will have to look into it :]

17. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008

I have a black buck that looked just like Hank a year ago. He had copper deficiency so bad that his coat started coming in red after only a couple months old. He also had very dandruffy, crusty skin. He looked a mess. I copper bolused him, shaved him down and his coat grew in to now be gorgeous, healthy and shiny. I'm betting your Hank will recover too.

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

With a half pint of baby oil and a fine toothed comb, I managed to get the majority of the scaly skin loose..his hair is coming in nicely too...sparse but at least it's black!
    I was able to get him on the Manna Pro goat balancer and it's a top dress with his regular grain ration so along with that he;s also getting the manna pro goat mineral...with his 1x a day grain he's taking in a good deal of copper and other neccessary minerals, the goat balancer has 150 ppm of copper, the mineral 1350 ppm and the grain is at 25-40ppm...so at minimum a total of 175-200 ppm of copper that I know he eats daily, plus the minerals and whatever the content would be in the hay/browse and water.
    As I've said before, whatever copper is in the "goat specific" products I give my kids will have to suffice, the death I caused a year ago will haunt me forever and I won't "play" with extra's anymore....if this doesn't fix him and his coat is less than normal for the coming winter, I'll crochet him a heavy sweater.

19. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

OK...New "issue", Hank is doing extremely well all slicked up in baby oil, this stuff is amazing! The scaly skin is coming off in sheets, healthy skin is emerging :cool: but, with the scale, the "old hair" that was left when he was shaved is also coming out :shocked:

He has new peach fuzz type hair growth, black as black can be but is it normal for the old hair to fall out?

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: My "shame" updated..with a ?

if there is new hair coming in then yah its normal for them to shed out for the new growth to take its place.