My sheep is in labor!!! Help!!! PHOTOS ADDED

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by shanzone2001, Dec 23, 2009.

1. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    She has been contracting every 4-5 minutes for the last 6 hours.....Are there any sheep people out there who can help me????

UPDATE- PHOTOS ADDED
    :girl: :girl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BetterBuckskins

BetterBuckskins New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Taxachusetts
    Re: My sheep is in labor!!! Help!!!

Is she pushing? What does she do during the contractions? what does her back end look like?
    Not a sheep person, don't how different sheep are from goats.

3. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia

whats showing??? sounds a long time to me...you might have to investigate...
    i just can't find my sheep book to get the correct time :oops:
    we run sheep .... but about 300 so there not monitored closely
    sorry i can't be of more help...if she seems to be really straining and no progress , I'd investigate :)

4. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009

She has been grunting and gnashing her teeth.

5. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

pour some iodine on your hands and reach a finger in to 'feel' if two are trying to come out at once . . . six hours doesn't sound normal to me, and the gnashing would have me totally worried.... :?

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Is she laying down and trying to push or squatting like she is trying to push?

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

6 hours is too long, disenfect your hands, put on gloves if you want to, and put two fingers in, if you cant feel anything go in a bit further, tell us what you feel, it could be a breech birth or two lambs are stuck.

8. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA

If you got it use ky or other lube. Sheep are big girls and you have room to feel around in there. If u want to call me pm me and I will give u my number.

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

When you say she is in labor...Does she have her tail up....and a bulge forming at her vulva opening... and actually pushing....but nothing is appearing to come out the opening .... and laying somewhat on her side..... as she pushes?

If she isn't actually pushing....and not really getting serious.. about getting the baby out ...she may just be grunting and grinding her teeth ...because she may just be uncomfortable ....They do that alot... late in there pregnancy..... If she is in hard labor....you will see a bulge at the opening area....as she pushes.......... Like was mentioned....... to make sure......that she isn't in labor.....clean your hands ....as was mentioned ...and see.. if you feel... a baby in there...an open cervix.... ...or if the cervix is still closed... if closed... she is most likely not... in actual hard labor yet.... :hug:

Do you have a due date for her? :hug:

10. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC

Is everything ok? I do hope your sheep delivered ok. When I worry about a doe contracting too much I go in and find out what's up. I hope everything is ok.

11. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009

Thank you Everyone!!! I called my neighbor who has been raising sheep for 15 years. She came over and felt around and had to pull out a twisted-up, breech lamb. My poor ewe!!! This is our first birth experience, but I knew in my gut it didn't seem right. She has delivered several times with no problem for her previous owner and she was due to deliver 12/25. After the breech lamb, she delivered a properly presented one with no problem. We now have 2 healthy girls..Holly and Ruby (California Red Sheep). My Christmas Blessings!!! I will post pictures soon!
    :girl: :girl:

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Aww...congrats....on the healthy little ones....they are such a blessing... :pray: ... and you did a great job.....with knowing the signs... that she was in distress.... you are now ...a proud new momma... :wink: :greengrin: :thumb:

13. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

thank goodness you got to her in time, and that both lambs and ewe made it safely!! :hug:

cant wait for a picture update :thumb:

14. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

That is so great!!! Can't wait for pics!!

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

california reds are great sheep :)

16. creekbottomgoats

creekbottomgoats Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    Congrats!! Way to be on top of things! :thumb:

Waiting for pics!!!!!

Connie

17. creekbottomgoats

creekbottomgoats Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Mississippi
    How sweet!! Congrats again and I am glad everything worked out.
    :leap:
    Connie

18. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations! I'm so glad you were able to call in someone to help. I love happy endings!!! Congrats!

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    They are adorable...congrats on the new babies..... you should be very proud.... :thumb: :greengrin: :hug: