my sick goat

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by goatlover, Aug 7, 2009.

1. goatlover

goatlover New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    ID
    my goat has been sick the last 3 days :worried: . she barely eats her hay and when we take her our to milk her shes not interested in the grain. she's a 5 year old nubian doe, does anyone know what I should do?? :?

2. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Did you check for Mastitis?
    Check her temp, and give her Nutri-drench if you have any.
    Did you worm her recently?
    Hope she feels better soon!! :hug:

3. goatlover

goatlover New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    ID
    how do you check for mastitis again :scratch:??

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you need mastitis test strips.

first you need to get a temp on her

is she eating at all? when did she kid?

5. goatlover

goatlover New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    ID
    well she kidded last spring. were could you get mastitis strips? we have a store called DnB supply they might carrie it because they carrie grain hay and clippers

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I have never bought them

when a goat is acting off like that your first response needs to be to take its temp. Have you done this yet?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Does her udder feel hot and hard, firm to you?

If you can, get her temp, normal is 101-103.5...higher than that would suggest a systematic infection, mastitis usually will stay in the udder but can cause her to be very sick.
    Make sure she is drinking, and give her some probiotics...either paste or yogurt will work as well.

When you said she freshened "last spring", was that this past year? Nubians are originally from the tropics and will normally breed earlier or later than other large dairy breeds....she may be going into heat, which if all other reasons are checked out, could also be the reason for her to lose her appetite.

8. A goat with anemia will do the same. Have you checked for that?

9. mnspinner

mnspinner New Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Need more info. A temp is a must, as fever or sub-temp will be very beneficial to know how to proceed. Is she bloated at all/hard belly? When last wormed? Any diet change? In the meantime, Fortified B Complex and Probios is never a bad place to start.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

A worm overload can cause lack of apitite low production and anemia. Mastitis can do the same. A temp a mastitis test and seeing if she is dehydrated is in order. a high temp doesnt always go along with mastitis. even if she doesnt have a temp she can still have it.
    beth

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Antonia, do you have a update for us? Please let us know how she is doing. :pray:

12. goatlover

goatlover New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    ID
    yeah sorry so she started eating her grain again yesterday and shes eating her hay. an slowly but surely she is getting her appetite bk so hopefully she going to be okay :pray: i hope her udder does not feel hot or hard.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so happy... she is doing better... :hug: